Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short one, but should be interesting. I play poker at a bar once a week, and last week the barkeep had his ginormous Harley inside the smoking area out back. He's pretty huge himself and looks great on this bike. He mentioned a ride - I mentioned the Tiger - he invited - I said yes. For curiosity's sake here's the link to the route...

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Lucky+13,+West+1300+South,+Salt+Lake+City,+UT&daddr=39.99876,-111.47836+to:Torrey,+UT+to:Escalante,+UT+to:page,+AZ+to:36.60648,-110.59616+to:Kayenta,+AZ+to:Mexican+Hat,+UT+to:Fry+Canyon,+UT+to:Hanksville,+UT+to:Moab,+UT+to:Lucky+13,+West+1300+South,+Salt+Lake+City,+UT&hl=en&sll=38.642618,-111.115723&sspn=6.365872,16.864014&geocode=FWmqbQIddp5U-SHtgic0Z8DZICnTw7qiL_VShzHtgic0Z8DZIA%3BFShVYgIdqPla-SktRLhm1LdNhzEMjIGk7_IY5w%3BFfVkSAIdR-Fb-SnBMVEVjv9JhzF2aCriFGNOfQ%3BFRpUQAIdORZZ-SmfBbB1wZE1hzHjysBO50aRBA%3BFSJGMwIdp1Fb-SmPdc39WxM0hzE5TjhTUS-Ybg%3BFRCSLgIdwG9o-Slv8NHsyDsxhzF_yP14e9491g%3BFeFrMAIdD6Zt-Skh2f03XdcwhzFXt3Z6fq7y7g%3BFcrkNgIdxo9z-SlvwQLVLDg3hzFNf9yzcaU02A%3BFTxEPgIdXjJv-SmbRVkcsqg3hzFod8QdiuFjLQ%3BFa6GSQIdSaNm-SnPk6_agcRJhzHh7or0Up7tXg%3BFQSVTAId8WZ4-SmNLbia5eFHhzEtxNXxerEyCw%3BFWmqbQIddp5U-SHtgic0Z8DZICnTw7qiL_VShzHtgic0Z8DZIA&oq=Lucky+13&mra=ls &via=1,5&t=m&z=7#bmb=1

Apparently there will be 20 of us, and I have no idea what most ppl are riding, but I'm sure Harley will be well represented. Other than 'for the fun of it' I want to ride with my side cases, this'll be the first time with them. The cases are from cariboucases.com, I have the 35L side cases as well as a 40L topbox which I'm not going to take. So far on longer trips its been the topbox plus a bigish Wolfman duffel which goes on the passenger seat...

I really like this setup if I'm going somewhere specific or camping, but of course it lacks a bit in the security department. We're staying in hotels this trip.

I hope to post a couple of choice pics of the Tiger with this mob. I'd love to hear your experiences riding with side bags for the first time, and about what, and probably more importantly, how you pack them.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Turned out, it was an Epic ride. On the XC I was able to keep up for the most part, and was comfortable doing so. There was me on the XC, a Triumph Thunderbird, and up to 23 Harleys. Everyone of them that I spoke with about my bike loved it, but I doubt any of them will be buying one. Most of the Harleys there were better tourers, and the ones that weren't were better hot rods. But there was a mutual appreciation of all the bikes there.

Riding in a formation, and a big one at that, was a new experience for me, and overall was a lot of fun. The two low points of the trip happened between Torrey and Boulder.

One rider did a little low side, he carried too much speed into a corner but shed enough speed to keep this minor - rider wasn't hurt and the bike just has a scratch. The other was less lucky. When he went to brake coming to a 5mph corner, his rear locked up and he t-boned the barrier protecting a 150' fall. He came off the bike and hit the same barrier with his head, after which he fell between the bike and barrier and got a little squished. He received 6 broken ribs, a shattered thumb, and a bike that will probably be totaled. His helmet probably saved his life, it was marked up pretty good by the cement and it was cracked. Thankfully that was the end of the mishaps.

This was the first long ride (1,000 miles) with my Madstad screen & gel seat. Can't really say enough good about the Madstad, zero turbulence even at 100+, and it didn't change the handling that I can tell. The gel seat is great, much better than the stock seat but its not a final solution. I think if I ride in a pair of merino wool bike shorts with a shammy, I hope it will be the end of the minor pain & numbness.

I have two new pieces of clothing that both were fantastic. I recently bought some BMW City Pants to be my, well, city pants. They were fairly inexpensive @ $220, but are built real well and look good. To tell the truth, I will be using these pants for all my riding. When it comes to rain I have some Arcteryx light-weight bibs for rain protection. I love these pants.

I sold a leather jacket and with those funds & a little more, I got a Rukka Armas. This is hands down the best engineered and performing piece of clothing I've ever had. The most expensive too, but worth every penny.

This was on HWY 261 just North of Monument Valley...

I had the better deal on this road, sadly there was only a mile or two then it was back on the pavement...

The ride was meant to raise a little money for a family affect by a loss, so there was a raffle and I won the top prize! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts