Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All : so after fixing up my new-to-me-but-bought-used bike project after project, tune up, carb work, bearings, tires, finally buffing out scratches, shining it up, taking it on a screaming ride through the Catskills, a friend shot terror into my core when he said, "You park it on the STREET?? It looks brand new.." Ok, my rationale is that I don't think any thief would be interested in this bike as it's not too common, resale / stripping wouldn't justify the risk... BUT now I find myself looking out my apartment window every hour..waking up in the middle of the night to check on it..putting a baseball bat by the door just in case.

Now I am looking for advice on alarm systems, disc locks, chains, lojack (which is really pricey), anything you all might be using and like using to protect your bikes. I need a little peace of mind. I want it to be as bullet proof as possible, from what I've been reading, layering deterrent on top of deterrent seems to work best. But Trophy specific stuff like if you have an alarm system, how challenging did you find it to install, how you like it, etc., I have a 2000 1200. Wintertime it'll be garaged. Thanks a lot ~ Ed

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do not worry. As we say in France, the best anti-theft device for Triumph is the name on the gastank …
Over my 1200 Trophy of 1998, I use an anti-theft device U. It is practical because I can tidy up it under the banister of carburettors.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey All : so after fixing up my new-to-me-but-bought-used bike project after project, tune up, carb work, bearings, tires, finally buffing out scratches, shining it up, taking it on a screaming ride through the Catskills, a friend shot terror into my core when he said, "You park it on the STREET?? It looks brand new.." Ok, my rationale is that I don't think any thief would be interested in this bike as it's not too common, resale / stripping wouldn't justify the risk... BUT now I find myself looking out my apartment window every hour..waking up in the middle of the night to check on it..putting a baseball bat by the door just in case.

Now I am looking for advice on alarm systems, disc locks, chains, lojack (which is really pricey), anything you all might be using and like using to protect your bikes. I need a little peace of mind. I want it to be as bullet proof as possible, from what I've been reading, layering deterrent on top of deterrent seems to work best. But Trophy specific stuff like if you have an alarm system, how challenging did you find it to install, how you like it, etc., I have a 2000 1200. Wintertime it'll be garaged. Thanks a lot ~ Ed
Hi Ed,

MCN reviewed this alarm system, Sept 2010 issue, and really liked it; there were a couple of minor cons.

www.internatrix.com

TW-1000 - Price seems reasonable at $150, and you might even be able to use the built-in alarm light in the tack rather than the one they provide so it will really integrate into the bike. So this might do the trick.

Hope this helps.

Lee

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ed,

My son is a mechanic for nine years in a big concession Triumph in Paris. Before, he worked five years at the French importer. When I wanted to install an alarm Triumph on my Trophy, he disadvised me to make it because it is not reliable and provokes multiple breakdowns difficult to repair.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts