1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, not

I mean these:

When we took this picture:

(from this ride report), my buddy rolled his 675 over some goat heads, and quite a few of them stuck in his front tire. His brand new Michelin Pilot Race, which is a pretty soft tire. He kind of worried about it, and I said he was nuts. "There's no way those things are going to get through a tire!" I said.

Well, darned if he didn't come out yesterday morning and find a fully flat front tire. Now, it might not have been the goat heads; maybe we didn't seat the bead properly when we put the tire on. Maybe the cold snap had something to do with it. Or gremlins. I still remain skeptical that goat heads caused this, but I'd love to see what everyone thinks. Could burrs/goat heads/vegetative products have caused enough of a slow leak to make a tire go flat? Jerusalem thorn (Parkinsonia aculeata), maybe, but not goat heads, right?

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Wow, on a goat head! They are pointy aggravating things but through a tire, go figure. Did he check for a leak in the tire yet? Just take it off, air it up and dunk it in the bath tub full of water. It will show quickly where the leak is. Maybe a popped bead with a new mount?:confused:

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He was at a party last night where several people said they'd lost ATV tires to goat heads. He's convinced; he's ordering a new tire.

And don't call me Shirley. :p

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mystery solved. It wasn't the goat heads. For some reason unknown to us, Michelin puts wear whiskers on the bead line. One of those whiskers was trapped between the tire and the wheel, as you can see here:

I would have thought that the rubber would still seal, especially on a tire this soft, but -

So we took off the tire, broke the bead and pulled off all the whiskers, and remounted it. He does have a fair number of goat head thorns still visible in the tire, but I think the whisker was obviously the culprit. Why on earth do they put whiskers there? :confused:

·
30,184 Posts
There you are then! That's far more like it.

People at parties who "reckon something" are not good sources of technical info! :D

Still - leak solved, that's the main thing. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Goat head attack on an ATV or motorcycle tire, I doubt could happen. Goat head flats on a bicycle (with thicker tubes, liners, and Slime) I can swear to. Mean little buggers.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
There are also these little sharps...

We call them sand burrs and there fairly easy to kill with Round-Up in the Spring. If they get full grown and dry they punch a hole through bare feet like you wouldn't believe.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've had goat heads and sand burrs in socks, and it's not fun. People wear boots out west for a reason.

Here's the plant that produces goat heads:

It's a fairly tenacious weed, according to Texas A&M University.

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
I had a Goat's head go all the way through my flip-flop and poke me in the foot...

Those things are TERRIBLE!!! :mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts