Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Skwirl,

I am about to do my T120 wheels, I have the tape and sealant but I am concerned about the valves. The side to side curve of the trough that the front wheel valve sits in seems extreme. What valve (part number and source please) did you use in the front wheel and did it leak? Thanks for any help. Others please chime in with advice please.

Also did anyone do anything to flatten the curve in the front wheel before installing the valve? I saw on a post somewhere above a guy filed a flat spot at the valve, I did not think the T120 (2016 - 2020) rim was thick enough to do that?

Ride Safe
ZShyster

·
Registered
593 Posts
I would NOT file or grind the rim in the valve area as you are taking away metal in an area already quite thin, potentially weakening the rim. My valve stem holes are 8.33 mm. Most valve stems seem to be too big at 11 mm, at least for my 2013 Thruxton. Was finally able to locate some 90 degree stems on line and fashioned a rubber washer to add to existing washer by slicing a rubber grommet in half. Still holding after a couple of years now, but next tire change will replace with new washers. Hopefully by then I should have found suitable washers to fit!

Reactions: Skwirl

·
Registered
593 Posts
For the valve stems I would use something like these...

Not sure if there are silver or unpainted options available, but an on line search should resolve your need. Again I assume your rim valve hole is same as mine - 8.33 mm, NOT the more commonly found 11 mm.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thruxty, thanks for the quick reply. I was hesitant to do any filing. I will look into these valves as I think they are similar to what I am looking for, I just do not know if the part going into the rim is long enough to accommodate a beveled washer, like a valve washer.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Skwirl,

I am about to do my T120 wheels, I have the tape and sealant but I am concerned about the valves. The side to side curve of the trough that the front wheel valve sits in seems extreme. What valve (part number and source please) did you use in the front wheel and did it leak? Thanks for any help. Others please chime in with advice please.

Also did anyone do anything to flatten the curve in the front wheel before installing the valve? I saw on a post somewhere above a guy filed a flat spot at the valve, I did not think the T120 (2016 - 2020) rim was thick enough to do that?

Ride Safe
ZShyster
I know exactly what you're talking about, as I recently re-sealed* my front rim. Just make sure the valve you use has a rubber gasket and only tighten it till you see the rubber slightly deform on the sides. Then I added a button of sealant around the valve, and once that dries cover it with a piece of the tape with a tiny hole punched for air to pass through. If you make the valve too tight, you'll see the rubber start to deform too much and you'll see gaps form. If that starts to happen just back off the first nut a tad. =)

*A word of caution to everyone sealing your spokes: If you, like me, prefer to go to a shop for tire changes, double-triple-check the tech who will be working on your bike/wheel gets the memo from the service counter that your spokes have been sealed, or else they will loosen the nuts on the valve as if it were part of a tube, and compromise the seal. Ask me how I know. 👀

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Skwirl,

Ride Safe
ZShyster
I mentioned flattening the area around the stem with a file in post #40 on my air cooled Thruxton front wheel. You don't have to make it completely flat just a bit better than it is. I thought it better to do that than worrying about it being on the verge of leaking all the time. No problem now three years later. I used the NAPA #90-426 valve stem.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
My wheel is aluminum with SS spokes, 08 Thruxton, it's only a problem on the narrow front wheel, the rear wheel is flat enough in that area. I suppose it's possible your newer bike could have A thinner, lighter wheel. My 08 T100 has steel wheels and is flat enough as is.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
I also filed a small flat on my alloy Thruxton wheels to help the valve seat properly, doubt if it's more than 0.5mm and there's plenty of material at that point so I've absolutely no worries about compromising the strength of the wheel, personal choice though.
Obviously not talking about chrome steel wheels here.

Reactions: ZShyster
101 - 111 of 111 Posts