Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

81 - 100 of 111 Posts

Registered
Just to inform that : 1 roll of 3m tape is enough for 3 wheels on a ttr. I know because i fecked up not letting the loctite 290 to dry. I applied it from the inside and when i rolled the tape it just traped a lot of air. Tried to dry it with heat and puncturing the tape far from the niples but finally decided to remove, dry, clean, brush and put another layer of tape.. then i sealed from the outside. On the back wheel i first sealed from the outside let it to dry and then applied the tape. Pressure is okidok!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Registered
2009 Bonneville T100
Was just about to pull the trigger on this using my new Shinko E705's. Checked the rims, both MT, good. At the last minute looked at the tyres. Front tubeless no worries. Rear... tube ONLY. 馃槙 馃槱

Registered
I'm working on planing a coast to coast trip across America. I have to admit, i wish i could just plug these tires (TTR) in the case of a flat. Maybe someone with a Speed Twin would like to swap wheels?

Registered
Discussion Starter #84
I'm working on planing a coast to coast trip across America. I have to admit, i wish i could just plug these tires (TTR) in the case of a flat. Maybe someone with a Speed Twin would like to swap wheels?
Just seal them yourself, it's not that difficult and there's plenty of advice and instructions on this board.
A tubeless conversion is a no-brainer if you're planning on a long trip.

Reactions: Grinnygrl

Registered
Wondering why there is such a thing as a tube only tire? Anybody?

Many tires state they require tubes, but most can be used without tubes too! Perhaps this is a regulatory issue....as in they are not certified to be used without tubes?

Registered
2009 Bonneville T100
Wondering why there is such a thing as a tube only tire? Anybody?

Many tires state they require tubes, but most can be used without tubes too! Perhaps this is a regulatory issue....as in they are not certified to be used without tubes?
It has to be in the construction. Using Shinko E-705's as example.
The front fit only tyres are tubeless.
The rear fit only tyres are tubeless.
The front or rear tyres are tubed. With 'Tube ONLY' clearly marked on the sidewall.

Registered
2018 Bonneville T120
It has to do with the construction and the way the tire bead seats. That's why you can run a tube in a tubeless tire but not vice versa.

Chuck

Registered
Discussion Starter #88
Just though I'd add this video as an alternative method to the 3M sealing tape, I know people have probably already discussed mastic type sealants on other threads.
Now I'm usually the last person to post a Delboy video, and I stand by my comments on some of his other work but must admit this looks a good job, and if I'd seen it before doing mine I would have given the sealant a try rather than go with the 3M tape.
It may appear more mess/work than the tape but that can be tricky to apply straight and without wrinkles/bubbles so there's probably not much in it, cheaper too and will probably be better balanced.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Registered
I've used PE adhesives like that for gluing all sorts of bike and car related things together with great results. Brilliant stuff but I can't help thinking keying the rim would help a bit. That method would cost about a tenner for both wheels! Its very messy tho, at least it is when I use it.

Registered
I purchased a 2016 Thruxton that has had the tubeless conversion. It has never been a problem. Works perfect. I would highly recommend it.

Registered
2020 t120
Just though I'd add this video as an alternative method to the 3M sealing tape, I know people have probably already discussed mastic type sealants on other threads.
Now I'm usually the last person to post a Delboy video, and I stand by my comments on some of his other work but must admit this looks a good job, and if I'd seen it before doing mine I would have given the sealant a try rather than go with the 3M tape.
It may appear more mess/work than the tape but that can be tricky to apply straight and without wrinkles/bubbles so there's probably not much in it, cheaper too and will probably be better balanced.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Iam in the process of doing this. Ran into a snag though. I'm using the same sealant as in the video. I've had difficulty finding it and 2nd, it's got a shelf life. The stuff I got wont come out of the tube, lol. Theres a expiration date on the top of the tube, make sure to check that code. The stuff i got is 3 months past and pretty much a solid. Had to reorder it, now waiting again.

Backup plan is the 3m tape. Ordered that yesterday also. I'm pretty sure the 3m tape will arrive 1st, so that's what I'll use.
The other rim might get the sealant, if it's still within the expiration date.
Just a fyi.

Registered
T120 Cinder Red 2016
when I did mine a tear ago I did silicone on spoke nut ends, let it set and then 3M tape, still good.

Registered
Would have thought the 3M I used is easier and less messy to apply. Which ever route you take, there are plenty of successes stories out there. Just be hyper vigilant with the pre cleaning and final cleaning of the inner rim surfaces, and I think you will be happy. Going a couple of years now and all good for me.

Registered
2020 t120
The 3m tape arrived today. Got the tape on the best I could. Only thing I'm not to happy about is the roll I got had a splice in it. Made it 3/4 the way around, then the splice. Now i have 2 sections of overlapped tape. I'll see what happens, getting the tire remounted tomorrow.
Fingers crossed, hoping for the best.

Registered
Discussion Starter #97
Shouldn't be a problem having a join/splice between the spokes, I'm sure it'll be fine.

Reactions: Skwirl

Registered
Had same situation myself. Locate the splices away from the valve stem. Area around the valve stem is more vulnerable to potential leaks due to reduced contact area. The 3M really sticks to itself, so the splice will never come undone. I purchased shortest roll I could find (17 feet from memory) and still had spare. Probably enough for another rim.

Key is to force any bubbles out and try to create a smooth outcome once the tape is installed. Perhaps too late, but I set the rim on a raised axle to allow easier controlled application, enlisting someone to slowly rotate the rim while I carefully applied using both my hands. Good luck. I think you will be ok. If there is a failure point you can remove a section and address it with a reapplication, although a real pain to have to remove/reinstall the tire.

Reactions: Skwirl

Registered
2020 t120
Got the tire mounted today. Got home and checked the spokes with soapy water and all looked ok. Pressure was the same at 40 psi.
I have plenty of time to watch the pressure for a while, waiting for the 39 tooth sprocket to finish it up.
Tomorrow I'll see about removing the front tire, then get it dismounted monday after work.
Initially the rear tire seems good.

81 - 100 of 111 Posts