Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I agree that using a good pair of leather gloves AND glove liners will help keep your hands warmer than gloves alone, aka layering. However, there are a LOT of different glove liners out there. Any suggestions as to what works best? Silk, cotton, fleece, polypropylene, space age this or space age that etc etc etc

thanks
CC

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
After freezing my hands off numerous times I went with Red Ledge fleece liners found HERE. They were about $9.00

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have used winter gloves, winter gloves + glove liners, and about every home remedy out there to keep my hands warm. The ONLY thing that works in temps in the 30's and below is heated gear. Fork out the 100 bucks and buy a set

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Temps in the 30's??? Are you nuts, buy a car....LOL My cut off is 45 and it has to be sunny out for me to do 45 degrees. Here in PA 45 feels like 30 in a dryer climate. I don't have a windshield either and as practical as they are at cutting the wind I have no plans to get one because the Bonneville looks so good w/o one.

I have heated clothing but am looking for a less complicated alternative.

Thanks
CC

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Silk liners seem like a good choice because they would not make your gloves feel too tight. However, I've done a lot of skiing and can tell you from experience that silk longjohns and long sleeve top are virtually useless.

CC

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
This winter I have been using Fox River polypropylene glove liners with my regular gloves and find them to work very well in temperatures above freezing. (I don't ride when it is below freezing.) The trick to keeping your hands and feet warm is not only good gloves and boots but dressing to keep your core body warm. When your core body starts to get cold, your circulation to hands and feet cuts down to keep the core warm. When its really cold, I wear two sweatshirts under my leather jacket.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the web address, Raproe.

Charlie

PS What's under the hood of that Poulan Lawn Tractor?

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
On 2007-01-02 14:36, PA-guy wrote:

...PS What's under the hood of that Poulan Lawn Tractor?
It's just the box stock 17hp Briggs & Stratton Intek engine. I keep it maintained right but I haven't done anything to hot it up (yet). It originally belonged to the guy who sold my house to me. I tried to get it for nothing as part of the offer for the house but the owner held out for $500.00. I got the tractor, 42" mower attachment, snow plow, spreader, thatcher, and cart all for that $500. The house cost a little more.

[ This message was edited by: raproe on 2007-01-02 18:00 ]

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've used both cotton and silk. What happens with both is that they catch on the Velcro (the hook peice) and get holes ripped in them, especially the silk. After reading that response about fleece (I'd never seen or heard of fleece gloves), I went and got some fleece long johns and tested the fleece against the Velcro - it didn't stick. So if those fleece gloves are not too thick, I'd say go with them.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Have been using the same polyprop liners that I use for hunting, but recently purchased Frank Thomas Anti-freeze Liners and am very happy with them.

Frank Thomas Anti-freeze Liners

·
Registered
745 Posts
4 years ago, I bought Gerbings jacket, pants, socks and gloves and while the clothes do a marvelous job with heat, the gloves are bulky...you trade off some clumsy for warm...I prefer some cheap winter gloves bought at Walmart for $10. warm a plenty with tactility. if I need to run at 32, I'll suffer the Gerbings.

I bought the clothes for an 80A BMW system...not sure what the Bonneville makes (around 27A I think), but I ran a wire for the jacket alone and it works OK...I may try to up the ante for pants and socks...but I'm not sold on heated gloves...I think heated grips are the better way to go.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've found that hand-guards work well - they keep all the cold wind off and you hardly need liners at all. Only problem is they lok at bit naff. Buy black ones and hope no-one notices! You'd need to look around for ones that work with a bike with a brake reservoir - as many trial bikes (for which they are made, often called brush-guards) have cable operated brakes.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have been using the same polyprop liners that I use for hunting, but recently purchased Frank Thomas Anti-freeze Liners and am very happy with them.

Frank Thomas Anti-freeze Liners

These liners look almost as thick as gloves. Will they require me to up my glove 1 size larger or are they fairly thin and tight fitting?

Thanks
CC

·
Registered
309 Posts
CC, they are a bit thicker than silk or polyprop liners, but they don't seem to reduce range of motion at all. As for moving up a glove size, I guess that would be a matter of personal comfort. I am using them with the same XL gloves and once used to them, I really don't notice them. My gloves slide on over them pretty easily. All I know is that with my old liners it would take a good 15-20 minutes before I got all the feeling back in my hands after a cold morning ride. With these, I don't feel much cold at all.

JW

1 - 17 of 17 Posts