Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the little glove box water proof so I can keep my wallet, cigarettes and cell phone in there? Or does rain get everything soakin' wet?

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
It is NOT waterproof! Keep your stuff in a ziplock bag, then put it in the glove box.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hm, I kinda figured that when I looked at it. But, I couldn't help thinking "wow, what a bunch of wasted space that is". So, what do you do with it then? Keep wheel locks in it? It's a glove box though, and is supposed to be made for convenience? It's not very convenient if I can't even keep toll money in it. What did Triumph make it for?

Okay, now I'm laughing, because they put a lock on it too.

Why would I lock it if I can't keep anything in it?

That's just too funny. Someone was drinking or smoking pot when they drew the plans up on that.

·
Registered
218 Posts
. What did Triumph make it for?

Okay, now I'm laughing, because they put a lock on it too.

Why would I lock it if I can't keep anything in it?
Mine came with the tool kit in it.. so I guess its so your tools dont get stolen.. I keep my ear plugs, and tools in mine.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I keep my tool kit, registration and insurance cards (in a bag) as well as a kick stand puck.
If you want stuff to stay dry, Triumph provides two decent sized saddle bags at no extra cost! :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Triumph say the glovebox is not waterproof, however I keep my phone and ipod in there and I've never had a problem with water getting in (and living in the UK I've rode through some very bad rain!)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good. I'm wondering if I pour a fine strip of liquid gasket seal around the perimeter, if it would seal the cover tighter.

I think I'll play around with it.

I still need the bike first. I think that would help a little :)

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Is the little glove box water proof so I can keep my wallet, cigarettes and cell phone in there? Or does rain get everything soakin' wet?
Due to the nature of rain, which is composed of water, which is, in fact, wet, items placed in a non- waterproof container (it says so right in your manual), to wit, the "little glove box", will in fact, absorb said water, and as a result, become wet. Placing objects in a waterproof container (see: ziplock bag, Ortleib, etc), and then locking them securely in the "little glove box" will then foster a condition referred to as "dry", which is, in fact, diametrically opposed to "wet". I choose to keep the Triumph Reclaimed Metal Tool Kit in the "LGB", to act as a sacrificial anode, and then add my bike papers in an actual waterproof container. Once in a while, I will take advantage of the LGB's semi- permeable aspect and put a small houseplant or amphibious creature in there for a few days. I've even seen tiny naked nymphs hot - tubbing in there after a particularly heavy summer downpour! Choose your desired scenario, adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
:D Funny! :D

I don't have the bike yet, which is why I was asking if it was water proof. I'm not THAT stupid where I couldn't tell by looking at it.

Okay, I'm a little stupid. ;)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Since it isn't waterproof, that would be a really dumb place to put a fuse panel.

Oh wait........

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You guys will never let me live that one down :)

Back in the day, when steering wheels were made of oak, people would always wear gloves when they drove. Hence the name, Glove Box.

Today, I think we just call them accessory compartments :)

But that's 7 syllables. Glove box is only 2. Therefore, Glove Box is an easier term :)

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
LMAO @ Denoose! :D

Welcome thumper, glad to see you taking the humour in good spirits. :cool:

I keep a tire gauge, garage door opener, leatherman multitool, insurance docs and a knife in there as well as some cable ties (docs in ziplocks) and the original Triumph "tool" kit... if you stuff enough stuff in there, the pressure under the lid stops it from rattling. ;)

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
+1 on JR Collins' comments, Thumper- you do have a good sense of humor, which is sorely lacking in many of the folks we all come into contact with on a daily basis. Surely NOT here amongst the glitterati of the ST list, thankfully!

Get that ST, and stuff the glove box with whatever you need!

denoose

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tax return should get me there. At least until I go back to the stealership and they say "congratulations, we'll give you 2,000 dollars for your 2007 CBR with 6,000 miles on it". If they take that route, then I have to wait to sell it outright :(

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
Tax return should get me there. At least until I go back to the stealership and they say "congratulations, we'll give you 2,000 dollars for your 2007 CBR with 6,000 miles on it". If they take that route, then I have to wait to sell it outright :(
Well, you know you squids are always dropping them dang sport bikes, and those plastics are expensive to replace! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts