Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently changed my Sprint ST 955i to a Sprint St 1050 with triumph panniers fitted. How do i fit my Givi monolock top box to my new bike

·
Registered
297 Posts
You need the SW MOTECH top rack if you want to use stock side bags, or you can go all out with givi side rails with givi side racks and top rack.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
If you're going to use GIVI boxes (great choice over stock, by the way!) the best mounting system is SW Motech.

You can still use the Triumph side boxes with the external plastic rails or if you go all the way with GIVI the SW Motech bracket system is far superior to that supplied by GIVI.

Be very careful with the loads you carry in the top box. A few 05+ ST's have developed cracked subframes at the rear most cross brace. Mine has a crack forming in the weld on the right side of the bike. Admittedly thats with daily use and after some 60,000kms, but its something to be aware of.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have recently changed my Sprint ST 955i to a Sprint St 1050 with triumph panniers fitted. How do i fit my Givi monolock top box to my new bike
You can use the Triumph coated cast rack and make up an adaptor plate to go between the rack and the Givi mounting plate. This is the set up I have on mine and it works well.

I made the adaptor plate out of 3mm thick steel and painted it black. It screws onto the coated cast rack with 4 M6 screws and the mounting plate screws up to the adaptor plate with 4 M6 screws with conelok nuts

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
SW Motech rear rack + Triumph panniers

I went for the SW Motech rear rack and stuck with the triumph side cases. The rear rack is neat and you can remove the GIVI monokey plate leaving just a small metal frame attached to the grab handle. I like it a lot. I use the top box every day and sometimes carry quite a lot, I have the GIVI E52. Although I don't think it is as sturdy as the old GIVI wingrack I had on my bandit it does seem to be holding up well, I have had it for about 4 months and 4K miles.

I would recommend using loctite when bolting it together and to your rear grab handle to make sure the bolts don't work themselves loose.

PS Ronnie I just noticed you mentioned a GIVI monolock top box. GIVI do two fittings - Monolock and Monokey - the monolock stuff seems to be more scooter oriented, while the monokey seems to be the bigger bikier stuff. Make sure you get the right plate as apparently they are different.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
The rear rack is neat and you can remove the GIVI monokey plate leaving just a small metal frame attached to the grab handle. I like it a lot. I use the top box every day and sometimes carry quite a lot.

I would recommend using loctite when bolting it together and to your rear grab handle to make sure the bolts don't work themselves loose.

Agreed....

SW-Motech top rack attaches directly to grab handle.

SW-Motech ( for Givi) adapter plate has three quick release bolts.

Givi E360 Top Box

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi,
I'm really busy recently so I'd not talk to much.
The only thing I'd like to say is that looking at SW Motech rack, I'd rather prefer the original Givi one as it seems to be stronger and better secured against overloading as it's screwed not only to the grab handle but also to the passenger footrests.

May be it looks worse but it's not the most important thing for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,
I'm really busy recently so I'd not talk to much.
The only thing I'd like to say is that looking at SW Motech rack, I'd rather prefer the original Givi one as it seems to be stronger and better secured against overloading as it's screwed not only to the grab handle but also to the passenger footrests.

May be it looks worse but it's not the most important thing for me.
I think that by using the FZ726 bracket from Givi will *not* allow you to use the factory panniers. (Thats what Twisted throttle say though) but if somebody has done it, please advise, that would also be my choice because it looks a lot stronger than the Motech.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have just installed a Givi monokey rack on my 08 1050.
Yes you can use the OEM pannier rails combined with the Givi rack. I am sourcing 4 slightly longer screws for the pannier rails where they bolt into the bike at the back. The screws that come with the Givi kit are not long enough [but the ones that come on the bike are ok for now, but i wanrt some a little longer, these are coming from Givi in the post].
Also be aware the where the Givi rails bolt into the bike on the pannier 'steadiers', the hard rubber stoppers on the end of the givi rails need trimming a bit with a stanley to allow a better fit. Get some Loctite too! The whole set up is really solid and built well.
I will post a pic tomorrow. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have just installed a Givi monokey rack on my 08 1050.
Yes you can use the OEM pannier rails combined with the Givi rack. I am sourcing 4 slightly longer screws for the pannier rails where they bolt into the bike at the back. The screws that come with the Givi kit are not long enough [but the ones that come on the bike are ok for now, but i wanrt some a little longer, these are coming from Givi in the post].
Also be aware the where the Givi rails bolt into the bike on the pannier 'steadiers', the hard rubber stoppers on the end of the givi rails need trimming a bit with a stanley to allow a better fit. Get some Loctite too! The whole set up is really solid and built well.
I will post a pic tomorrow. Hope this helps.
Wich Givi part number did you ended up to order? Thanx

·
Registered
472 Posts
I guess it was this one. I got my dealer to order it as if it was wrong then he would take it back.
http://www.givi.co.uk/caschi_borse_bauli_accessori.asp?CO_ID=2612
Heres some images without the box on [which i dont have yet!].
As already said, the 2 screws that bolt into the grab handle need to be longer. Also see how it bolts into the underneath pannier steadier [if thats a word!]

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi,

I think that by using the FZ726 bracket from Givi will *not* allow you to use the factory panniers. (Thats what Twisted throttle say though) but if somebody has done it, please advise, that would also be my choice because it looks a lot stronger than the Motech.
There's no problem with combining Givi topbox rack with OEM panniers rack. I don't know how Twisted throttle made such a conclusion ;)

321Go just described necessary details for You :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts