Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not a fan of the awkward to use Sprint OEM panniers so I thought I'd try my hand at
converting over to the easy to use top loading Givi E21 panniers. They look much smaller but
are nearly the same capacity as the Triumph panniers. At $170.00US per pair, the Givi's are much
less expensive than Triumph hard bags.

Instead of buying expensive SW-Motech or Givi pannier racks, I decided to use the Sprint racks
and my own design HDPE adapter plate. For hard bag to plate attachments, I used the
SW-Motech / Givi accessory kit which costs $20.00US and contains enough parts to attach 2 panniers.
If HDPE sheet is not readily available, an HDPE kitchen cutting board is an alternative.

HDPE adapter plate with SW-Motech (for Givi) attachments. Two top bolts and one bottom bolt are used to attach the adapter
plate. HDPE is extremely durable while being easy to cut and drill. The plate still needs painting ( Krylon Fusion - black).

Givi E21 top loading panniers (21 litre).

Givi E360 and E460 panniers ( 40 litre / 46 litre). These are normally my top boxes.

The Givi Monokey E21's are easy to load, attach, and remove.

Additional Pics / Links......

Link showing how narrow the Givi E21's are compared to the Triumph Panniers.... http://www.yostwerks.com/TriumphGivi4.jpg

E360 top / E21 panniers - http://www.yostwerks.com/TriumphGivi3.jpg

E21's - http://www.yostwerks.com/TriumphGiviAA.jpg

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Very elegant and functional. Great job.:bighand:

I have also used the Krylon Fusion, but it was opposite from what you will be doing. I painted a couple of black battery boxes white about two years ago. They have withstood being unprotected in the elements. It is good paint.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have also used the Krylon Fusion, but it was opposite from what you will be doing. I painted a couple of black battery boxes white about two years ago. They have withstood being unprotected in the elements. It is good paint.
Thanks. Krylon is the only paint I know of that will adhere to HDPE, and even then
it's not a given :) There's black HDPE available, but I had lots of
white HDPE in my shop that I use for folding kayak construction.

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
That looks really trick! It's very professional looking as well. I can't believe how much narrower the Givis are compared to stock.
The Fusion paint is great stuff! I painted the license plate housing on my car black to match almost 4 years ago, and it still looks great!

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
LOVE the toploaders! Best looking bag on the Sprint despite being old skool on a modern bike.

Great job.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Falco Pannier Racks 1 of 2

Prior to the Sprint / Givi pannier setup, I made pannier racks / adapter plates for my Aprilia Falco
as none was commercially available. The racks are made of 7/8" X .058 wall 6063-T832 aluminum
and the adapter plates ( for Givi) are made of 1/2" High Density Polyethylene ( HDPE) with
SW-Motech pannier attachment hardware. This is a more complex setup than the Sprint Panniers
which use the existing Triumph pannier racks. Perhaps a setup similar to this can be adapted to earlier model Sprints.

The aluminum pannier racks / adapter plates install and remove in one piece and weight 5.5lbs.
The top box alloy plate is by Givi and was designed for a KLR-650.

The aluminum rack attaches at the grab handles and at the pillion footpegs (pegs removed) with
SS bolts and lock nuts. An electricians tube bender was used to shape the aluminum tubing.

The HDPE adapter plate attaches to the aluminum rack with 3 bolts / lock nuts. 1" rubber bushings
separate the plate and the rack and allow the panniers to clear the cans.

The original top box plate was attached with cable ties and shock cords but has been updated
with machine screw attachments through the grab handles, and thin aluminum plate. The pillion can
be removed separately allowing access to the grab handle bolts / lock nuts. This allows the top box
rack to stay attached independently of the panniers. This arrangement replaces the top box strap in the pics above.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Falco Pannier Racks 2 of 2

In the event that a top box isn't required, the pillion is replaced with the seat cowl. The front aluminum strap
is attached via 2 machine screws used to secure the lock for the seat cowl and pillion.

The seat cowl looks sleek compared to the pillion / top box plate.

The Givi E21's look pretty good on the Falco... as Panniers go.

E21 panniers / E360 Top Box. E360's ( 40 litre) can also be used as panniers.

All's well that ends well .....

·
Registered
445 Posts
Those look to be so much more practical and narrower then the Triumph panniers. Good Job!

I did something simalar for my Givi top box mounting.

You have me thinking about selling my Triumph panniers and going with the silver topped version of yours!

Hey Werks whats the volume of the Triumph cases? Also is it easy to have all your Givi stuff keyed the same?

God damn you Werks, the last thing I need is another project....

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I have said it before to you but I am going to say it again. That Falco is one of, if not the, prettiest bike I have seen. I am getting a real soft spot for Aprilla bikes and that Falco is just so so nice.

Fantastic job on the racks for the Sprint and the Falco. What a choice in the morning, the BMW car, the Sprint or the Falco..... hmmmm what should I drive/ride today?

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks to all for your positive comments.....

3Banger.....
Very nice top box rack. It looks quite rugged. The Triumph bags are either
21 litre or 24litre based on which source you read. It's amazing how small the E21's ( 21 litre) look
in comparison. The E21's are of lighter construction than other Givi's like the E360 or E52.

I read somewhere that Givi's can be keyed the same. Mine aren't.

Calaway....
The Falco's are not too pricey. Check out Craigslist. I paid $5500US for my 02 with 2300 miles on
the odometer. They are fast / fun bikes and the sound of the V60 Rotax twin is out of this world.
Comfort / riding position is surprisingly good, though mine has taller heli-bars.

Aprilia have a good reputation for quality, and have been described as the "Italian Honda" in that regard.
Fit and finish are top notch.

Tom

·
Registered
138 Posts
http://www.t595.net/messageboard/thread.asp?thread=10886

My experience of Aprilia would be stay well away, unless you want unbelievably bad spares back up at extortionate prices, where they are available. As for finish, frankly just laughable. Maybe in Italy or California where rain is seldom the paint stays on, however in the UK the paint starts being pushed off by the corrosion underneath as soon as they reach our shore.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Nice work on both the Aprilia and Sprint.

I'm leaning more towards adapting a V35 setup to mine. I want a pannier that will hold a helmet. But I don't need 40+L of space.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
thanks Werks. I am going to check that out on craigs list. We have an Aprilla dealer in town and they are the triumph,guzzi,kawi dealer as well. I just have a particular liking for the Falco. Something in it's stance.....and the rotax.......

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
764 Posts
Here's my version of Werks pannier rack. I fabricated it up out of steel tubing and bolted an Rjays top box mount to it. The front mounts up to rear footpeg bracket bolts and the rear mounts up to the seat subframe via a couple of steel straps. Only need to undo 4 bolts to remove it from the bike.

I designed the subframe so that I don't have relocate the indicators when riding solo but when riding 2 up I can slide the mount 60mm rearwards to provide more legroom for my good lady wife.;)

Attachments

·
Registered
425 Posts
I, too, love that Falco!
Very impressive Givi mounts also, guys. I use my luggage when I go camping and I particularly like the fact that my black Givi cases are resistant to scuffing and damage when moved from bike to tent etc. If I ever change my RS for the 1050, I think those pretty, colour-coded cases would be stored safely in the garage until it was time to sell the bike.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey King Key, with all due respect you are talking out of your ass about the Aprilia. I have owned 3 and still have a Falco. The build quality and finish is on par with the best. As the body work is predominantly plastic I am not sure where the paint could be pushed off by corrosion. Perhaps you could tell us what Aprilia you have owned and what problems you had with it.

BTW I have a 10 year old Trident which is a minter too. As with any bike, good finish helps but a lot depends on the attention of the owner...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts