Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have resisted the thought of sullying the classic looks of my 2012 T100 with a top box. I have a Givi V47 on my CB1100, which is perfect for hauling all of my stuff to work. I can unclick it instantly and carry it into the office.

My Bonneville has a Nelson Rigg tail bag attached to the rear half of the seat, and it is practical, but I find myself riding the Bonnie less, since I often haul things that won't fit in the tail bag.

I'm thinking of practicality over style at this point. I have reviewed all of the site's posts regarding mounting Givi Monokey plates, and some show the plate on a Renntec rack. Since the Renntec is short and wide, it really isn't a good look, but the Renntec also looks like it is easily removable as well - if someone can confirm, does it mount to the outside of the shocks? If so, six screws and six minutes, and it would be back off of the bike.

I couldn't find any information about mounting a Givi plate to a factory luggage rack. Has anyone done this? I'm concerned about the structure and weight capacity of the factory rack for carrying a Givi trunk. The Renntec looks more robust in structure.

A Norman Hyde looks like a great option, but I can't locate a U.S. dealer. The Fehling looks good too, but again, no U.S. support.

Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks AutoXer, I have a Givi rack on my CB1100. That would be my first choice for the Bonneville as well, just trying to see if a less expensive alternative would work, and in the case of the Renntec, something that might be easily removable as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks AutoXer, I have a Givi rack on my CB1100. That would be my first choice for the Bonneville as well, just trying to see if a less expensive alternative would work, and in the case of the Renntec, something that might be easily removable as well.

I'll confess, for me the looks of the Givi won out over price. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
If I remember correctly, the renntec rack is installed over the shocks but under the saddlebag supports. Was a bit of tension in the fit. I would definitely count longer for removal if you have the bags.
I personally always thought it looked better than the Triumph one IF one had saddlebags on as well. I always had my saddlebags on so the rack was mainly for carrying bigger stuff/camping.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, Le_Yak, that's a pretty heroic load on that bike.

There's a factory Triumph rack on Ebay that's about to end at a good price, but looking at the construction of it, I really don't see myself trusting the weight or vibration of a Givi box on it.
I might save my pennies and go with the Givi designed rack someday if not the Renntec.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My wife has watched me on my phone looking at one rack after another. She finally chimed in with her opinion:

"Didn't you put a Givi rack on your Honda because it was the best choice for the Givi trunk? What do you use your bikes for... to ride to work, or to care if other people admire them? Just get the stupid Givi rack for the Triumph and be done with it!"

She's right. Order placed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts