Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Please accept my apologies if this info is held elsewhere (I have looked).

I've just changed the spark plugs and air filter on my 2001 Tiger 955i and it's now running rough. I have a couple of questions.

1 - It's been suggested online that the ECU will sort out the rough idling after a while of running. Is there any truth in this?
2 - Can anyone confirm what the small pipe coming out of the fuel pump in pic 1 does and if it's meant to be attached to another component?
3 - Info at the following link talks about the MAP sensor but I can't find any info on it online or in the Haynes manual. There is a pipe connected to a small outlet under the airbox. Is this it? Should it go somewhere?

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-62837.html

4 - Looking at the second pic, there are two plugs: a black one between coils one and two, and a white one (covered in black greasy muck) between coils two and three. Any idea where they should go?

Apologies for the N00b questions but I'm trying to do as much spannering myself in preparation for an Africa trip, and I'm anxious to learn.

Cheers,

Biffy

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
If I remember the small pipe is left without a pipe. Have you used the correct plugs? I think you may have reconnected the fuel rail the wrong way around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Automouse, thanks for the reply. Yes, a few people are suggesting that the pipe is no longer needed as it's really just balancing the pressure from the airbox.

Your comment about the fuel rail is interesting. I (foolishly) didn't take a pic of the connectors before starting work and I've only put the red connector at the top because it's marked above that one.

Looking at the from the rider's point of view, the connector at the top (return) goes to the left of the fuel rail and the bottom (send), to the right. Any idea if this is correct?

Cheers,

Biffy.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Hi,

Just for info on the two plugs. I think the one on the right is not used on the Tiger loom. Thinking of my bike, there isn't another spare plug ?? Does it go on the temperature sensor on the thermostat ??

And...........how about putting the old plugs back in and seeing if it goes back to normal ?? If so, there may be an issue with the new ones.

Good luck, and keep us posted with your findings.

And.........good luck with the Africa trip :wink2:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would like to ask an unrelated question on this thread. Got back from a ride on my '05 955i yesterday and found I had a gas leak, It is coming from the top fitting on the left side of the gas tank. It is the red fitting in the top picture of this thread. I am in AZ for the winter and do not have all of my manuals here.

I assume once I remove the fitting from the tank (I see there is a release on the fitting) I will find an o-ring that has failed. Does anyone know the size of this o-ring from a parts manual? I would appreciate the info. The closest Triumph dealer is about an hour away.

Thanks

etdown

·
Registered
52 Posts
Could be the plugs themselves. I once had a similar issue and spent hours trying to figure it out before a friend suggested i try a new set. Lone behold everything was back to normal. Cheap enough to give it a shot

1 - 9 of 9 Posts