Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very upset when C. Heston passed away and was not given much recognition by the people in Hollywood or for that matter the news (hardly a mention).

So when my best friend sent me a Christmas present this year via the mail I was very happy. It was a commemorative C. Heston knife. I haved mentioned my best friend in the past and some of you guys know it is Silverado. Not too many people can talk with a friend about things you did when you were 4 or 5 and you are now in your 50s. The knife is like a razor and it is very nice indeed. :D It is a Case knife.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Very cool Lee! Case knives are great and it's a plus as a collector. Charlton Heston (John Charles Carter) had strong beliefs about God and Country as well, something that Hollywood isn't really keen on. Ben Hur, Moses the Ten Commandments, spoke openly against racism, opposed affirmative action opposed abortion. He was a gunner and radio operator on a B-25 in 1944. He also made a statement which I admire, He stated, "Political correctness is tyranny with manners!" A good man!;)

Enjoy it Lee it's a great gift!:D

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Nice gifts Lee!

Wow! What a contrast in viewpoints C Heston and P Newman. Right and Left. Both great actors, both active in their beliefs. They will be missed.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
And MY best friend sent the jumbo gift set from Hickory Farms which also arrived tonight. Nice! I'll be doing some more time on the exercise bike after Christmas. :)

Lee, you're an easy guy to get gifts for since I've known you a couple of years now. ;)
Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chuck Heston was good man, too bad almost all of the great ones are gone from hollywood leaving only the ultra enlightened beautiful people to rehash old rubish.
just want to give a shout out to Tom Cruise and his new waste of film "valkyrie" looks way good (yeah right) way to act, your german accent really makes me buy it.
sometimes makes me want to vomit.
Hollywood needs a check up from the neck up.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
You could use that fine Case knife to whack off a slice of future Soylent Green. Soylent Green is people? Mmmm, People!

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
You could use that fine Case knife to whack off a slice of future Soylent Green. Soylent Green is people? Mmmm, People!
People, the other white meat!
You are right, Lee, about the few people you can jabber about things you did nearly 50 years ago.
I think I should call my friend Eric, who still lives and still remembers the weeping willow tree that blew over during hurricane Donna and gave us much excitement for a few days. His backyard became an African jungle, or at least it did in our minds!

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

If I remember right Chuck Connors and Edward G were in that movie.

I believe that movie also sparked a cook book. It was removed from the shelf though. There was a copy right on some of the recipes which the Donnor party started. :D:Dang:

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
People, the other white meat!
You are right, Lee, about the few people you can jabber about things you did nearly 50 years ago.
I think I should call my friend Eric, who still lives and still remembers the weeping willow tree that blew over during hurricane Donna and gave us much excitement for a few days. His backyard became an African jungle, or at least it did in our minds!
I was only four when that hit in 1960 the winds hit 115 miles hours. :eek:

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I once heard him speak at a press club luncheon. He referred to Clinton as Mr. Clinton. He was talking about gun control and how drug dealers were not going to get a permit. He ended it with frankly Mr. Clinton we don't care much what you think...we just want you to stay away from our daughters. He was a very good speaker, a great person and he will be missed.

·
Registered
131 Posts
That video clip of Heston and Newman debating the nuclear arms freeze makes me glad that I didn't belong to a motorcycle forum when that debate was going. It's hard enough tiptoeing around the gun issue all the time!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I guess it affects us all, but in fairness, I wasn't expecting to flirt with the issue of gun control in a post entitled "Gift from my best friend of 48 years". Maybe we can have a code in the titles of posts like "NAG" (Not About Guns) for those of us who don't care to read, debate or otherwise discuss them.:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I guess it affects us all, but in fairness, I wasn't expecting to flirt with the issue of gun control in a post entitled "Gift from my best friend of 48 years". Maybe we can have a code in the titles of posts like "NAG" (Not About Guns) for those of us who don't care to read, debate or otherwise discuss them.:)

Besides being one of the great actors of our time, Charlton Heston was involved in a number of causes. Happens that probly the best known one is that he was president of our NRA. Hard to discuss the man & leave that out.

Whatever... the world is a lesser place without him.

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Hi Lee,

Very nice knife indeed, I have a friend a bit like Silverado is to you, although he is about 8 years older than me, I have known him and been friends since, well as long as I can remember actually.

My Dad is a Scot and my friend is also a Scot, a Glaswegian.

Anyhoo I also really like Charlton Heston movies, I think he was a great actor although reading your thread here I have learnt more about him I did not know.

Thanks for the thread and congrats on keeping a good friend that long (you have to work at that sometimes) and getting such a nice gift.

cheers,
the crazy mixed up ScotsIrishman born in NZ living in Oz!:p
DaveM

1 - 19 of 19 Posts