Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
No chance, unfort. Not enough space for shopping. No head-height visor mirror to do eye make-up whilst discussing my failings with girlfriends. No argument to "Does my head look big in this?" question about helmets. No. That idea is not a runner.

·
Registered
539 Posts
:D

Still it surprises me that so many of you guys carry on thinking it's a good idea to keep suggesting small engined bikes to your WAGs, 500s and 600s etc are far smoother and easier to ride. I started learning on a 125 and hated it, my instructor realised I was struggling with it and suggested trying the 500 instead - no probs and my riding improved overnight. Give your ladies the credit not to go faster than they're comfortable with and let them get on with it, they are generally more sensible than men.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
:D

Still it surprises me that so many of you guys carry on thinking it's a good idea to keep suggesting small engined bikes to your WAGs, 500s and 600s etc are far smoother and easier to ride. I started learning on a 125 and hated it, my instructor realised I was struggling with it and suggested trying the 500 instead - no probs and my riding improved overnight. Give your ladies the credit not to go faster than they're comfortable with and let them get on with it, they are generally more sensible than men.
Everybody is different, my wife was scared of the '78 GS550 I rebuilt for her (it was a steal, $250 ;-) and wouldn't ride it. The clutch was to hard to manage, it was heavy, etc. Took her to a dealer and when she sat on the XT225 she felt it was perfect.

Sure you end up turning around and selling it, but that class of bike around here sells very well. I believe it cost us about $600 for her to have that bike for 2 seasons, money well spent I believe.

different strokes. I would just encourage everyone to explore all of the options.

·
Registered
495 Posts
This is as good a thread as any, in which to tell this story.

I looked around for an EX250 for my sweetie to learn on, we talked about it and went to get it together (in a pickup). After a riding session, she said she felt all-pulled-out to reach the bars.

So, I found a Virago 250 for her, and test rode it. I paid for it and asked the seller if I could come back for it later in the week. I had a friend over for dinner and we went to pickup some takeout, and I came back on the bike... my sweetie was *shocked*

Her old bike first became a cruiser and then the cruiser was sold for cash to buy my T100. Now, the seller of her bike is now in our dance community and wants to sell me her 750cc cruiser... such a small town! :)

Oh, and she took her MSF class without me, and has started to ride on her own a little, though we remain very busy and it keeps raining! :(!

·
Registered
44 Posts
My wife had a wr 200 before I came along. I got her a xt 225 and a year later a v-star 650. I made the mistake of letting her ride my bonneville and now she wants that one or a scrambler. We decided to get a scrambler, when the economy picks up, and share the two. Anyone want to trade their scrambler for a v-star? :D

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Anyone want to trade their scrambler for a v-star? :D
Who would do such a silly thing! Might wanna put an ad on craigslist, make sure to put it in barter not motorcycles as that cat is for motorcycle sales not barter... although you can try, depends on how many people feel like flagging it ;-)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I would love to get my wife on a bike. But she has never been on one and I'm afraid she will ride it like she drives. A very scary proposition. I will say this for her though she would learn to ride and probably ride very well.

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
My girl(woman) took the MSF course, bought a Suzuki S40(650 I believe) thumper. It's a nice small bike for a woman, a little light on the power, but It will do highway speeds without too much trouble. She won't though! We usually get out for some back road rides with some smaller highways thrown in. Usually nothing above 55 mph. Around here in Eastern PA there's plenty to ride that way!!

I just find myself driving in my mirrors more than looking forward! She'll be alright, but I'll be in the grill of some Truck( lorie)!!!!:eek:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I would love to get my wife on a bike. But she has never been on one and I'm afraid she will ride it like she drives. A very scary proposition. I will say this for her though she would learn to ride and probably ride very well.
My wife is a scary driver (to me), tons of late braking.. not looking far enough ahead for problems.. But, a motorcycle is an entirely different beast. She has more respect for the motorcycle and drives way better when riding likely due to being in a relatively unprotected position. Give her a chance!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts