Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Not much going on right now. It's been pretty cold for the most part, so I haven't been working on it. I did, however, stumble on a better option for the rear shock, and the top bushing is the correct size, to boot!
Nice!
What's it from?

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
It was listed as "1991-92 Kawasaki ZX6 rear shock ZX7 ZX9 SV650 R6 R1". The instruction sheet is dated 1992. It is definitely NOS. Perfect condition (internally, I hope!)

I dropped them a line asking about the spring rate, but, so far, crickets.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Just seen this update...

Nice find! Should be a decent quality shock. You were wondering about the spring rate? On the ebay link you sent me, a pic shows the spring markings " 1190 560 ". Most aftermarket makers include the rate next to model number. As Progressive is a US maker, I'd expect this in lbs/inch. So I think the 560 means 560 lbs/inch, which translates to 10.0 kg/mm. A tad soft, as most of these Kawa options are, but infinitely better than a stocker, and fine for solo use.

The length tho', at 14.25" is a wee bit long, = 361 mm eye-to-eye. But you should be able to make up some custom dogbones that will work with it. (IIRC, the TB is 337mm, TBS about 347mm, give or take.)

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Thanks for the insight into the spring rate. 10kg/mm is a lot better than some of the other options, that seem to be closer to 8. As far as the length goes, ArferBrick is using a stock shock that I think fits the same model, and it seems to be working for him. I guess the real issue is if it reaches its compression limit before the suspension does. With the lower spring rate and preload adjustment I think I can get it to start out at the right height, as long as there's enough travel left.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
Resurection

Not much happened to this bike in the past 2 years. Life sort of got in the way. I ended up selling the TBS to another member here and buying a Harley Low Rider, just for something different. Turns out it's assembled a lot like a Norton Isolastic frame. Swing arm is mounted to the transmission and the engine/trans is mounted in the frame with rubber mounts. Turns out AMF owned Harley and Norton at the same time. Must have been some cross pollination... It's supposed to reduce vibration, but, as far as I can tell it just makes it easier for the engine to jump around. Anyhow, it's definitely different. (I've spent about $600 on engine mounts...)

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get back on it, before winter sets in... I've landed a circa 1995 ZX6R shock with a remote reservoir and a TBS spring for the rear suspension, so the Progressive setup in post 59 is available if anyone is interested. The ZX shock came with a Race-Tech Gold Valve and I've re-shimmed it for this application. Should be awesome...

I'm working on the swing arm right now. The chain had worn through the guard on the swing arm and gotten a pretty good start on the arm itself. I can clean it up and install a new guard, but I'm wondering if there's any reason to try to built it up to its original shape. Not sure if it would help extend the life of the new guard, or be a waste of time. Any thoughts?

(Looks like someone attacked it with an ice pick, too...)

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Wsc,

Guess they didn't think the chain needed adjusted. The guard is just to guard against an occasional bounce of a loose chain. If the bushing is Ok, I think I would paint it black, put on new guard with the new chain, etc. and ride it.

good luck

Dan

61 - 70 of 70 Posts