Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tricks for getting new headers to seal at the head? When i pulled the stock ones off there was a bunch of RTV on the sealing surface so i cleaned it all out, cleaned up the copper gasket and put my D&D's on, they leaked bad enough i could see blue flames coming out. Took them off cleaned everything again and put some high temp Copper RTV on let it sit for about 20 minutes took it for a ride last night and it was fine, started it up this morning and it was leaking pretty bad again. I figure I'll have another go after lunch but any tricks to this?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I think the "trick" is to use new header gaskets. They compress the first time you use them and this helps them seal. They may not seal properly the second time you use them as you've found. I've never needed to use any additional sealant when using new gaskets to seal the headers.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Get a tube of Permatex ultra copper at the auto parts store.Smear a thin layer on one side of the copper gaskets and put them in place.Put a thin smear on the D&Ds and bolt them down. Let it sit over night and enjoy a nice,leak free ride tomorrow. I`ve had my various headers on and off a HUNDRED times without a single leak.The copper gaskets never come off the engine,so never break their seal.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
I think the "trick" is to use new header gaskets. They compress the first time you use them and this helps them seal. They may not seal properly the second time you use them as you've found. I've never needed to use any additional sealant when using new gaskets to seal the headers.
Exactly right. Never use the existing gaskets over again when the manual says to toss 'em! Some may get away with it but, most probably don't.

Take a short-cut and pay for it in the long-run. I took my headers off to have them ceramic coated. Had the new copper gaskets ahead of time. Used copper Permatex RTV- a light light smear on 'em. And no problems.

It's waay too much work to get the right one on and off to take any chances IMO.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get a tube of Permatex ultra copper at the auto parts store.Smear a thin layer on one side of the copper gaskets and put them in place.Put a thin smear on the D&Ds and bolt them down. Let it sit over night and enjoy a nice,leak free ride tomorrow. I`ve had my various headers on and off a HUNDRED times without a single leak.The copper gaskets never come off the engine,so never break their seal.
I went with this method, cleaned the all the surfaces with gasket remover and took her for a rip, all I can say with hew pipes is WOW! i think a new clutch is the next mod.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what pipes did you get 2into2 or 2into1?
I went with the 2 into 2 street. I think you joined in on atleast one of my ramblings about deciding on them. So far I'm VERY happy with them, they did bring to light either i need to adjust my clutch a bit or go with a heavy duty one. It used to only slip a little on a hard 4th to 5th change but i had it slipping pretty hard on second to third shifts at 5-6k RPM's.

·
Registered
399 Posts
You can reuse copper gaskets just fine. I don't use any RTV either.

Heat yours to a dull red then let cool. (This anneals them)

Clean with a scotch-brite pad and soapy water. (This makes them look pretty)

Coat with permatex copper spray (optional)

Install in the reverse of the way they came out. The flat side out, the grooved side in.

They will seal AT LEAST as good as new ones, but probably better because they are much softer!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the good words, Yeah the chain was super loose after putting the KYB's on... dont worry though it wasn't like that more than a week and i tightened the chain right after the picture. This last round of mods really changed the bike for the better.

The ground clearance isn't as bad as i thought it was going to be. I've got almost 500 miles of New England roads on them on already and have yet to scrape. I think the only things that might cause a problem are major speed bumps and steep ramps to flat transitions; if you hit either at speed i think the pipes would be your last worry regardless.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Cost of those gaskets?

I bought a pair of those copper crush "tube ring" gaskets from my local dealer. God awful expensive. So expensive, in fact, I felt kinda strange walking out the door of the store. Two pieces of copper for nearly $20? Geesh. I needed them - but still. I wish I'd had the time to experiment with using the original ones over again. 20 bucks is 20 bucks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts