Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm new to the site..
I haven't ridden a motorcycle for about 8 yrs and I've been wanting to get back into it for the last couple of years.
Unfortunately I've been back and forth like a yo yo and I've been driving myself and my wife nuts... (She says she's okay with it, but I know she'd prefer I didn't).
Either way, I love the Triumph lineup, especially the modern classics.
I was originally thinking of going with a 675 street triple but something about the street twin has been tugging at me for the last couple yrs. I know performance is completely different. I used to ride a honda cbr600rr and said I'd never get another sport bike. I feel like I'm more into the cruising around enjoying the ride type of mentality these days. I'm 32 yrs old but I think I'm more like an old man then my age, if that makes any sense.
Couple things that are holding me back are the lack of time to ride (can't commute as I have a company vehicle) and insurance, which is ridiculous up here in Ontario.
Any thoughts or opinions anyone can share would be great?

·
Super Moderator
2,436 Posts
Hello, welcome to the site. You don't sound like an "Old Man" You sounds like a sensible young man. Nothing against sport bikes my any means. I love sports bikes and rode them for many years. But if you are drawn to a Street Twin that is a great compromise. Excellent bike. Go make some friends in the Water Cooled Twins section. You'll fit right in.
Good luck & safe riding on whatever bike you choose.
I hope you find this Triumph site to be a great place to meet and talk all Triumph bikes with a great bunch of riders.

Everyone here is very willing to help with any issues or concerns with your bike. This is really a great bunch of riders very willing to help other riders.

Cruise around the different sections and find where you fit comfortably. There are tech sections for each of the many models of Triumphs and chat sections for the same. Also we have a great classifieds section that is well worth checking out.

If you want to just hang out and shoot the breeze the “Biker Hang-Out” Chat Section will be the place to stop in.

If you haven't already please fill out your profile. It helps others to know what you ride and where on the planet you are located.

I hope you enjoy the site. The moderators are here to help if you have questions or concerns. Thanks for joining the Triumph Rat Family.

Here is a link to the rules of the site and the classifieds. I recommend that you take a few minutes to read through them.

Acceptable Use Policy

Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)

Classified Ad Rules - Read first before placing Ad
https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/classifieds-rules.578169/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome, MJelly! I’ve just recently joined the site also. Although I’ve a few years on you, my thought process was very similar to yours, even including the wife’s response. I hadn’t ridden in about the same amount of time as you, and my last bike was a Honda CB650. I decided to get back into riding, rode a few bikes at the dealers that would allow test rides, and the Street Twin was the perfect fit for me. So I bought it about 3 weeks ago, and I could not be happier with it. I may do some mods over time, but I bought it for the joy of riding and owning a really good machine. The only thing I have added (or planned at the moment) is a center stand. I look for excuses just to take it around the block. It really is a joy to ride. For me the geometry is just right (I’m about 175cm and 79kg) and the 900 is plenty for me.

I also don’t use the bike for commuting, but just for enjoyment - in the USA my insurance is relatively cheap.

For what my opinion is worth as one who recently made the decision to buy a Street Twin, I couldn’t be happier with it. Feel free to ask any questions you may have, and I’m happy to help if I can.

Good luck with your decision!

C48634B0-E861-4E77-A436-71DB12A74F76.jpeg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey man.
Thanks a lot for the info. The bike looks great and I appriciate hearing from someone who is (or was) in the same boat as me lol.
I've been negotiating a deal for a 2017 street twin that I've found. Fingers crossed.
Hoping to be the owner by next week!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I rode for 10 years when i first started working; had the sensible bike of a XVS650, then XVS1100 before going to a more upright CB900 and then back breaking R6; Gave up riding when I got married as the "sensible man" :D

Fast forward 12 years later, wife took up riding again and got the bug again.... the bike I came back on was a 2010 Z750; a cross of a sensible rider with a bit of zip under it.... as fast as it goes, i didnt seem to have the urge to go riding, with only less than 5,000k worth of riding in 1 year.

Just picked up a 2009 Bonnie SE myself, and I have to say I am having a ball on it. Much more relaxing ride position, shorter for a shorter rider, easy to ride around to work or lunch and enough grunt to have fun during the weekend without fear of killing yourself.

my insurance for the Z750 was at AU$480/year but now it is down to AU$240/year

bonus: I have noticed more people come along and have a chat when I park the bike. Also its a chick magnet :love: well, more senior ones anyway.... had a few nice ladies come up and said "oh, I remember my boyfriend had one back in the 60s/70s" 🤣

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey man.
Thanks a lot for the info. The bike looks great and I appriciate hearing from someone who is (or was) in the same boat as me lol.
I've been negotiating a deal for a 2017 street twin that I've found. Fingers crossed.
Hoping to be the owner by next week!
Thanks!! Good luck on the Street Twin! Send us a pic if you get it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I rode for 10 years when i first started working; had the sensible bike of a XVS650, then XVS1100 before going to a more upright CB900 and then back breaking R6; Gave up riding when I got married as the "sensible man" :D

Fast forward 12 years later, wife took up riding again and got the bug again.... the bike I came back on was a 2010 Z750; a cross of a sensible rider with a bit of zip under it.... as fast as it goes, i didnt seem to have the urge to go riding, with only less than 5,000k worth of riding in 1 year.

Just picked up a 2009 Bonnie SE myself, and I have to say I am having a ball on it. Much more relaxing ride position, shorter for a shorter rider, easy to ride around to work or lunch and enough grunt to have fun during the weekend without fear of killing yourself.

my insurance for the Z750 was at AU$480/year but now it is down to AU$240/year

bonus: I have noticed more people come along and have a chat when I park the bike. Also its a chick magnet :love: well, more senior ones anyway.... had a few nice ladies come up and said "oh, I remember my boyfriend had one back in the 60s/70s" 🤣
I can relate! I have noticed that these bikes are conversation starters. I like the way you put it - “easy to ride around to work or lunch and enough grunt to have fun during the weekend without fear of killing yourself.” Exactly!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there - I was in the same boat having not owned a motorcycle since 1997 (a '77 Bonneville which I'd had for 18 years, plus many other bikes). I have owned my new Street Twin for a week and am loving it. Easy to ride, classic looks without too much to polish, quick enough but not a handful. Good luck with the Twin :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello there,
I just got recently to the forum again. Trying to reconnect with riding after a long hiatus with my dad's old BMW. Now looking forward to acquire a Modern Classic as well, but struggling on decide which one. And here we are, while searching for info all paths led to this forum.

Maybe according to nowadays standards you're holding too much on your back to be just 32, but the human being mind is the one who states how old you are IMHO. Think about what you really want, since riding as you probably now, more than commuting is about living.

Regards,

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi and welcome! Classic twins are like jazz music..they encompass a little bit of everything and can be improvised to no end. Rode my share of crotch rockets and cruisers in my half century riding and nothing beats a classic for all around pleasure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey everyone, well I finally did it. Just picked up a great deal last night. 2017 Street twin will 3000km on it. It turned out to be a great deal as the guy I picked it up from I think accessorized it more then he rode it. Havent got a plate on it yet but couldn't wait so just finished taking it for a rip around the block. Oh man, that old feeling. I had completely forgotten! Thanks for all the advice. Safe riding. Gotta get some better pics soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey everyone, well I finally did it. Just picked up a great deal last night. 2017 Street twin will 3000km on it. It turned out to be a great deal as the guy I picked it up from I think accessorized it more then he rode it. Havent got a plate on it yet but couldn't wait so just finished taking it for a rip around the block. Oh man, that old feeling. I had completely forgotten! Thanks for all the advice. Safe riding. Gotta get some better pics soon. View attachment 731635
Great! Congrats on the purchase! You’re going to have a ball with it.
Safe riding!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts