Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was a beautiful one here in NE Ohio. Mid 50's, bluebird skies. I'd just returned from a great Thanksgiving dinner and wonderful visit with my son, his wife, and the two granddaughters, and had to get in a ride. Thought I'd give the Bonnie a break and take the W650.

First, though, I wanted to adjust the clutch cable, and thought I'd do it at the bottom end of the cable for a change, since I've made all the adjustments for the past 4 years and 35000 miles at the lever.

Since I've spent much more time tinkering with the T100 this year, I was thinking Triumph but working on Kawasaki .... and removing an engine cover to get at the clutch adjustment, because as we all know, there's nothing under the sprocket cover but the sprocket, right? Tap, tap, tap with the rubber mallet to loosen the cover, after all the bolts were removed. Ooops! D***. That's the alternator cover, and that's a lot of oil pouring out on the garage floor!

One quart later, and staying amazingly calm under the circumstances, I had things bolted back together.

I got in a really nice ride on the little Kaw, Bonnie was upset, and the old Beemer didn't seem to care.

Bob

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I get the CL 350 out at times too. Sure is a difference. Almost dangerous to swap between these 2 bikes. A friend told me to ride his newly finished Yamaha twin 650 hard tail but I declined. Too much difference.
The old Honda needed a battery last month. Need to install my newly cleaned carbs too. The ones on there are running bad. Good warm weekend project. After the Ham radio VE session & the Gun Show.

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
Get you head on straight before working on more than one bike!
heck, i'm living proof you better get it on straight when wrenching even if you only have one bike ! :-D :( :-D

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
357Bob - it isn't difficult to switch rides from the T100 to the W650, but I gotta watch myself when I'm wrenching. When Grebmrof and I were working on my bike, getting it ready for the ride out West, I found myself using the torque tables from the Kaw manual on the Triumph. I have to learn to keep this stuff separate.

Daz - Yeah - I don't need more than one bike to cause a mess myself. I can screw up a one car funeral with the best of them. I'm just don't 'fess up to it very often!

Sweat - I'll get a pix of my buddy's XS650 - You'll be disappointed .... it is totally stock, as far as I can tell. I believe it is an '83, with sort of a King/Queen seat and mag wheels. It is a neat bike. His only complaint is the vibes .... I tell him that he should have owned my 1963 BSA. That thing shook the garage!
Apparently the weakest part of the XS bikes is the alternator. When Mark's failed, the web business that supplied the rebuilt unit asked him to make sure to send in the core, so it could be rebuilt.

Bob

Edit - Sweat - I answered too fast. You must have been asking Bob 357 about the XS. I just saw where you asked about the "hardtail". Got two Bobs here.

[ This message was edited by: ohiorider on 2006-11-24 18:21 ]

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
My favorite XS is the '72 red and white "XS2" 650. That was one of those bikes that made me drool endlessly. I ended up getting one, but it was factory chopped and tottally different. Custom paint, forks extended, sissy bar, custom seat and a few more things. I thought it was a one-off when i bought it used till i saw an identical one on the road and since found out it was one of very few the factory chopped. Wierd. What great bikes they were tho. Maybe the best "triumph" ever all things considered.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
2 Bob's. 2 Bob's. 2 Bob's in 1.
I had this XS650 that I wanted to make a street tracker out of. Got the 2006 T100 Bonnie & lost interest. So I sold it to a Ham Radio buddy of mine. He lives about a mile away.
He has a web site. It is his ham radio call sign.
It is www.wb5evo.com The bike is on there. At the bottom I think he calls it the project bike.
I still want one for a street tracker though. Look at www.650motorcycles.com then go to images.
Or www.mikesxs.com
My friend also sent his bike pictures to 650motorcycles.com last week. He is #1011. Wow. There has been 12 posts since his.
One of the Bobs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.