Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello was just finishing up the wiring on 78 t140e and was thinking if I made up short length of wire that I could connect from possitive on second coil to battery that would enable ignition system only to work to get me home if no not if when electrics play up .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You tube

Wanted to say I have learnt so much from Lunmad on you tube he's just brill

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to clarify my bike is 79 year model with Rita electronic ignition and negative earth

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Hello was just finishing up the wiring on 78 t140e and was thinking if I made up short length of wire that I could connect from possitive on second coil to battery that would enable ignition system only to work to get me home if no not if when electrics play up .
It’s called hot wiring Bro, and vital to know about on these old tarts.:wink2: And BTW, you'll hotwire to the power supply of the rita, and not to the coil. Hotwiring to the coil is for points ignition. HTH. RR :).

·
6,503 Posts
Hi RR,

you'll hotwire to the power supply of the rita, and not to the coil.
Uh-uh, Jonner The OP is talking about his '79 T140E, which is 'negative ground', so the supply to the Rita from battery -ve doesn't have a switch in it; they (kill and ignition switches) are between "possitive on second coil" and battery positive.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Hi RR,

Uh-uh, Jonner The OP is talking about his '79 T140E, which is 'negative ground', so the supply to the Rita from battery -ve doesn't have a switch in it; they (kill and ignition switches) are between "possitive on second coil" and battery positive.

Hth.

Regards,
You’ll remember I don’t rate myself on auto electrics but I could hotwire the old family saloon (negative earth with contact points) with a wire from batt + to the coil +. :laugh2:
With my 72 T120 and a Pazon EI, I have a permanent hotwire installed that bypasses the main iggy switch with a connection from the batt -VE to the Pazon through a fuse. I kill the engine with the kill switch. Works for me. I’ve used it twice (broken iggy wires) quick easy to connect. Back on the road in 2 minutes. RR :smile2:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts