Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys wanted to ask before I purchase gerbing battery harness to connect on my scrambler battery for winter riding.
Gerbing battery harness has 15amps if I connect and run this to heat my gloves/jacket liner & pant liner for winter riding will it blow my battery fuse or OEM battery is it good enough to take care of 15amps?

·
Registered
61 Posts
The battery isn't what powers the gear (wouldn't last an hour) it is the capacity left from the stator. With no other items added, your stator should hold up with enough revs. Lots of threads concerning charge capacity.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
The gerbing harness has its own fuse and gets hooked directly to the battery like you would a battery tender. If you pop a fuse, it doesn't affect any other area of the bike's operation.

I have a jacket liner & gloves and never had an issue with my stock R/R keeping up with the gear. I now have a mosfet-type R/R fitted and figure I have enough juice for both me and the missus.

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Registered
171 Posts
if you are looking to get the Gerbing vest , I say don't do it. I have been trying for close to a year to replace a defective plug. Basically, the plug from the vest doesn't stay clipped to the battery. Gerbing has acknowledged that there is a problem and have been telling me since December of last year that it is on back order.

At this point, I can't return it to the retailer nor can I get Gerbing to repair it or replace it. $170 wasted.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already have gerbing jacket liner/pant liner/gloves/boot liner...
I used to live in Seattle,WA..
Went to Gerbing factory itself where u can try out and if it doesnt fit you they actually tailor make it for you ...
I've been happy with their product so far...Have their harness on my harley but will put one my scramby and will be ready for cold weather riding

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
if you are looking to get the Gerbing vest , I say don't do it. I have been trying for close to a year to replace a defective plug. Basically, the plug from the vest doesn't stay clipped to the battery. Gerbing has acknowledged that there is a problem and have been telling me since December of last year that it is on back order.

At this point, I can't return it to the retailer nor can I get Gerbing to repair it or replace it. $170 wasted.
Are you talking about the plug in the jacket liner? How does it not stay "clipped to the battery"? Do you mean the lead to the controller falls out? If so, are you inadvertently pulling on it?

How old is it? It's hard to believe that Gerbings won't take care of it, especially if they acknowledged a problem. I'd go to a well-stocked electronic parts place and look for a coaxial socket that is a tight fit if the controller plug won't stay in place; you might get lucky.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts

I don't understand how this can happen either. The fused harness attaches to the battery with ring connectors and the rheostat (temperature controller) plugs into this. The liner then plugs into the rheostat. Which plug is kaput?

I'm at a loss how Gerbing could be out of stock on a plug type that their entire product line is built upon. These plugs are available through Eastern Beaver and other vendors.

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Powerlet/powerlet.html

I use a SAE to coax adapter on my setup so I can plug into my battery tender harness...they say that's a no-no, but it works fine as long as you stay within the constraints of the wire size/fuse on the battery tender (which I do).

Regards,

--Rich

·
Registered
171 Posts
this is a battery powered vest. The connector from the lead to the battery has a design problem (acknowledged by Gerbing) so even though it is initially connected and inside the special pocket, any slight movement gets it disconnected. They have been giving me the runaround about not having it in stock and waiting for colder climate to order the replacement part.

I called them yesterday and, even though I have called them 4 times, they had not information on me.

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
So this is not even the jacket liner that most of the rest of us use.

It would be better if you would make that distinction in your derogatory post, because most of us who are using the Gerbings liner and gloves that plug into the bike's electrical system are quite happy with them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts