Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I had an accident last weekend and my bike is going into the shop tomorrow for repairs. Does anyone have any idea on what the availability of genuine parts is like, particularly in Australia?

I have a Thunderbird Commander. These are the parts that I need:

Handlebars
Front forks
Rear brake pedal
Front brake lever
Front brake master cylinder
Throttle cables
Headlight
Camshaft cover
Front and rear fenders
One rear shock

I'm thinking that this might be my opportunity to replace some parts with better ones. Particularly in regards to the rear shock, I'd like to lower the bike. I'd also like a different set of handlebars. Maybe I could upgrade the headlights while I'm at it too.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
I would be surprised if many of those will parts will be available "off the shelf". Brake lever and cables,,,,,maybe.
Some parts may me able to sourced and others probably not available. The cost will be frightening. The insurance company will probably write it off.
You might be able to gather some bits off other wrecked bikes around the country.
Good luck Mate, it wont be easy I reckon.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I'm guessing you don't have fully comprehensive insurance on the bike because if you did the insurance would most likely write it off especially since the forks are toast.

As has already been said the new cost of the parts you've listed will make your eyes water so I'd start ringing around the wreckers both here and overseas for good second hand parts.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies!

I do have comprehensive insurance. Just because the front end is damaged doesn't mean they will write it off. I come off it a couple years ago and bent the forks and they repaired the bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey Homer - whats the latest? I too, feel that insurance will pay you out. It's not just the cost of the parts but labour costs need to be factored in as well.
I came off many years ago and bent a few things (including the collar bone) and thought the damage to the bike wasn't too bad . But it was .. That was through Swann Insurance. Took maybe a week or so for them to sort it out.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Homer - whats the latest? I too, feel that insurance will pay you out. It's not just the cost of the parts but labour costs need to be factored in as well.
I came off many years ago and bent a few things (including the collar bone) and thought the damage to the bike wasn't too bad . But it was .. That was through Swann Insurance. Took maybe a week or so for them to sort it out.
G'day mate

How is your body? This is the third accident I've had on a motorbike and each time it takes me longer for my body to heal. Been thinking a little that maybe it would be better to hang up the gloves, but I do love riding. But man, I am sore!

I dropped into the repairer today to have a chat. The list I gave in the first post is pretty accurate, but I don't know how I make the mistake and forgot to add the fuel tank to the list. The handlebars knocked the Triumph emblem off and made a couple dents, and the engine bar bent up under the tank and damaged that area of the tank too. The repairer has quoted to repair the tank because he said if it was too be replaced, the bike would be ridden off. This guy does do good work, but I'm a bit hesitant about repairing the tank when I'm sure I've read about issues of tanks leaking even though they've never experienced damage. Anyways, he said the Insurance Assessor is dropping by one day this week and he reckons soon after we will know what's going on.

He reckons that pretty much all the parts are still available new, but if he goes through Triumph Australia they have stated that they won't arrive for 4 months, so he suggested I have a look on the net for available parts in the UK and he will order them directly. Right now though I think I'll wait until the Assessor has made a decision. I'm also trying to think of how to approach the whole tank issue, repair or replace, what to say to the insurance company, and what it will mean for me should they ride it off.

Sent from my SM-F916B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Slow progress huh?
My bones are fine. T'was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away that I crashed ...
Wait to see what the assessor says and then you will have correct info to make a decision by.
I don't know about tank repairs either - see what happens I guess.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I've only damaged one thing so far and that was a driving light. It cost me near $400 from memory. I shudder to think what your repairs are going to cost!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

The assessor has gotten back to me and they are repairing the bike. The Insurer is going to supply the quote so I can help source parts, coz they have already said that genuine parts will take many months to arrive. The repairer had to just quote an allowance for most parts coz he has no idea how much they will eventually cost, so I'm hoping he was conservative with his estimate which may allow enough money to use better after market parts.

Do we have a list somewhere of parts providers?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

The assessor has gotten back to me and they are repairing the bike. The Insurer is going to supply the quote so I can help source parts, coz they have already said that genuine parts will take many months to arrive. The repairer had to just quote an allowance for most parts coz he has no idea how much they will eventually cost, so I'm hoping he was conservative with his estimate which may allow enough money to use better after market parts.

Do we have a list somewhere of parts providers?

I've had luck with bikebandit.com.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone know if the rear shocks on a Thunderbird will also fit the Thunderbird Commander? I know that the frames are different, but I'm hoping where they put the mounting for the shocks that they placed them in a position which meant they could use the same shocks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all

I had an accident last weekend and my bike is going into the shop tomorrow for repairs. Does anyone have any idea on what the availability of genuine parts is like, particularly in Australia?

I have a Thunderbird Commander. These are the parts that I need:

Handlebars
Front forks
Rear brake pedal
Front brake lever
Front brake master cylinder
Throttle cables
Headlight
Camshaft cover
Front and rear fenders
One rear shock

I'm thinking that this might be my opportunity to replace some parts with better ones. Particularly in regards to the rear shock, I'd like to lower the bike. I'd also like a different set of handlebars. Maybe I could upgrade the headlights while I'm at it too.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A bit of an update...

I'm hoping the repair job will be completed in the next week or so. I've worked with the repairer to not have to replace any parts with genuine items, and based on the last conversation I had with the repairer a couple weeks ago, we have achieved this; either by replacing damaged parts using aftermarket items, or repairing them. Some chrome parts for instance, he repaired them and then sent them out to be rechromed.

I've gone with these shocks: https://yssaustralia.com.au/road-mo...hocks.html#/467-twinshockcolor-black_standard

And I've gone with these handlebars: "Thunderbike Thunderbird 1600 Oversize T-Bars" Thunderbike Thunderbird 1600 Oversize T-Bars

If you live around the Sydney/ Hunter Valley area of NSW Australia, I can't recommend these guys enough: "Classic Motorcycle Restoration" Classic Motorcycle Restoration

By the way, the original quote for repair was almost $14K!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts