Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just completed the installation of Genmar's 1" risers on my GT and thought I'd collate all the info I received into one place in case it's useful to others.

I bought the 1" risers from Genmar's UK importer. All the details are here: http://www.zianet.com/GenMar/

There is a 3/4" option, which isn't listed online but I discovered when I emailed their customer service to ask about fairing clearance.

This is the reply I received:

"We do carry a 3/4" version of the T-160 risers. The risers are $99.95 plus $17.00 shipping to the UK. The 1" version will fit without hitting the fairing. If you loosen the bolts on both handlebars and rotate them back toward the rider and then tighten them up, it will give you the clearance you need."

This method does indeed work (as others on this forum pointed out in a previous thread I started, in which I asked for others' experiences of the risers).

My bars clear the fairings by a tiny amount - but that's all I need :)

I was concerned about the clutch cable being too tight after fitting the risers but after moving the cable over the top of the ignition barrel (in other words, from the left side to the right as you look from the seat), there was plenty slack in the cable so no worries there.

I've posted some pictures here: http://photoset.com/179hjhmm

Thanks to all who contributed to the previous thread.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Thanks for posting up your photos. Excuse what may be a silly question, but what happens to the fork adjustment screws? Are they down inside these risers, covered by those round disks? So when you want to adjust your front suspension, you remove these disks to gain access to the adjustment screws?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for posting up your photos. Excuse what may be a silly question, but what happens to the fork adjustment screws? Are they down inside these risers, covered by those round disks? So when you want to adjust your front suspension, you remove these disks to gain access to the adjustment screws?
Exactly right. They're under the two circular caps.

Edit: JohnD - I just noticed you're in Tampa. Mrs Sparky and I are heading for Anna Maria Island on Monday for three weeks, during which we'll be riding a Harley down to the Keys :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Thanks for the fast reply. I'd say lets meet, but I am currently up in Connecticut (that's about 50 miles from New York City) and will be for the next few weeks before returning to Florida. However, you should find Anna Maria Is. and the Keys a relaxing vacation. You might want to have a meal at The Sandbar restaurant (northern end of Anna Marie Is.) and watch the sun set. It gets busy. I've taken a couple of dates there with good results.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...ant-Anna_Maria_Anna_Maria_Island_Florida.html

For some nice shops, head south down Longboat Key, then east on SR789 over to Sarasota.

When you go to the Keys, I suggest you take SR90 (Tamiami Trail), not I75 (that's interstate 75) over to Miami. The interstate has a lot of traffic, while Tamiami Trail is just as fast, almost no traffic and a more scenic two lane road. Towards the western end, as you near Miami, you will see a couple places to take an airboat ride in the swamp (takes about 45 minutes). Gas up at the start of the Tamiami Trail as the ride over to Miami is without gas stations in the middle part.

Shortly before arriving in Key Largo, there is a visitors center on the right (east side of the road) where you can stock up on pamphlets for local knowledge. They will also assist with motel/hotel vacancies if you run into a problem. I suggest you visit the Hemmingway House (now a museum) where he spent several years writing, but if bars are your thing there are plenty. If you are into diving/snorkeling, the John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park (just north of Key Largo) is great.

If you ride all the way down to Key West, and want to see what the end of the world is like (I'm talking about being in a desolate spot) take the 2 hour boat ride out to Fort Jefferson. You can also take a seaplane.
http://www.drytortugasinfo.com/?gclid=CLvy3-KhhrMCFQme4AodBAMAQw

Enjoy your vacation and ride safe.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Has anyone experienced a loss of road feel and handling ability after installing these risers? One of the things I prefer about my Sprint GT over my Kwak Concours 14 (GTR1400) is that the Sprint handles better with superior feel through the bars. The Kwak bars are considerably higher. All things being equal, the higher the bars the more you lose feel and ability in the curves. The idea of moving my Sprints bars up an inch is inviting, but not if my handling goes away somewhat.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've drop my triple clamps down about 5mm to quicken the steering; will these bar risers allow me to retain this set up? Many thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I had them on my ST and they really were comfy but alas they weren't for me. The "clunky" appearance and weight increase (negligible to maybe everyone but me) proved too much so I ebayed them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts