Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
across the connector.

This is the confusing part. When ignition is on the output from the relay -at the relay and at fuse 6/7 - is 5-6v.
That's because you are not familiar w/ the Ohm law. U=RI means if any contact presents a resistance because of corrosion for instance, there will be a voltage drop along the contact. So you have a parasitic resistance along either the relay contact or the relay pins.
I don't hear any switching within the relay.

The white wire I mentioned is what feeds from ignition through fuse 2, becoming the brown power supplied to the main relay. The brown wire has 12v as does its jumper across the relay - I do have 12v where you drew the arrows.
OK
The pump + lead is constant 12v ignition on, the ECU does the switching through the ground wire. The ground wire at the fuel pump to bat+ shows 12v key off and .2v key on - during priming phase and after.

The ECM appears to be grounding with ignition off and not grounding with ignition on.
Nop. If you see 0.2V on the ground side of the pump while priming, then the ECU grounds the pump when it should.
This all sounds like a ground issue with the ECM but I do not understand how the main relay can be outputting 5.3v under any circumstances when battery voltage is sitting at 12.5.

Side note - where can I find the labeled pinout for the ECM connectors?
I provided the schematic for the pin retrieval. Don't you see it?

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks for the input.

When measuring voltage from the pump plug negative to bat+ shouldn't I see 12v during the first three seconds of the ignition being on, and a drop to ~0v after?

On the plug schematic - I meant the list with each wire's position. I saw the diagram

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Thanks for the input.

When measuring voltage from the pump plug negative to bat+ shouldn't I see 12v during the first three seconds of the ignition being on, and a drop to ~0v after?
Yes. But you wrote : "12v at pump negative (key off) .2v pump negative (key on during normal priming time)." which clearly means the pump is grounded during the priming.
On the plug schematic - I meant the list with each wire's position. I saw the diagram
Sorry I don't follow you here.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
All fixed, it was the ECM.

Does anyone know what triumph part number is equivalent to a triumph "270500" relay? There are four on my bike and I can't find them anywhere in the US.

270500 in germany:

·
Registered
435 Posts
Glad you got it sorted :)

I can't remember which relay that is off the top of my head, but if you look at the relay diagram I posted earlier it has the Triumph and generic part numbers for each relay socket.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Thanks,

I see T2502109 which is the same four terminal they use everywhere. I'm sure it'll work fine I'm just curious why I have four relays that only pop up on german websites when I google "270500 Triumph relay." It's just interesting.

The bike runs great now. I replaced a dry rotted idle air control hose which brought the bike back to perfect idle. I also tossed on a 1050 Speedy throttle tube which is by far the best mod I've done on this bike... so nice.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I think it must be an old designation, some of my relays are the same.

The 1050 throttle tube makes such a difference doesn't it! The stock one always felt like about 3/4 of a turn for WOT to me lol

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Thanks,

I see T2502109 which is the same four terminal they use everywhere. I'm sure it'll work fine I'm just curious why I have four relays that only pop up on german websites when I google "270500 Triumph relay." It's just interesting.

The bike runs great now. I replaced a dry rotted idle air control hose which brought the bike back to perfect idle. I also tossed on a 1050 Speedy throttle tube which is by far the best mod I've done on this bike... so nice.
I was about to answer that any automotive 40A relay would do the trick when I noticed the schematic on the relay. The is a diode and a resistance included in the coil circuit.
Usually those components are protecting the driving circuit inside the ECU.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
I'm just going to pick up full relay set from a scrapped bike. $25+shipping ($8 flat rate from dealers) for a single relay is bonkers.

Rampant: I did a 800 mile day on the bike and the stock throttle was my only complaint. I stopped half way through to buy a cramp buster.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts