Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was tightening the screws on my tt600's generator cover (left side), and i tightened one screw a little too much...

i definitely stripped something. is this bad? which would typically strip, the screw or the hole?

what should i do? i'm afraid to pour oil into my bike... it might leak.

thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,713 Posts
It would strip the engine case, since that is aluminum and the screw is steel. Use a helicoil.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
its a thread insert, just a thread on its own with a tab accross one end, sort of looks like a spring, you insert it into the original hole and as you put the screw in it beds into the alloy giving you a new thread, its inserted with a thing that goes though the center of it and the tab fits into the end of the tool sort of like a scewdriver, sounds complicated but is dead easy, DD. :hammer:

·
Registered
132 Posts
No wait!

It may not be necessary to put in a helicoil. The thread might just be rolled. It's worth it to try a thread repair tool first.

For an internal thread like that, the repair tool looks like a slightly oversized tap. You smother it in cutting oil and ease it in to the hole a quarter turn in, an eighth turn out, over and over. They fix a lot of thread problems.

You can get a whole set of thread repair tools, metric and standard for around $40 at Sears. The set pays for itself quickly, especially if you are a f'ing caveman.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
where can i get this evasive heli-coil???

i've checked autozone, kragen, Orchard (OSH) & Home Depot... nada.

·
Registered
402 Posts
i don't mean to be an arse, its just that my dad overtightens everything!!!!!!!!! even plastic nuts n bolts

·
Super Moderator
8,713 Posts
Here is a place- there are lots more on the internet.

One helicoil source.

It also describes what a helicoil is.

[ This message was edited by: Will on 2006-11-22 13:14 ]

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay... problem solved. i didn't use a helicoil though; i ended up using a 'thread repair kit'

i went to a motorcycle shop (i bike), and they recommended this route... so far, so good

thanks again for all the replies.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah, my understanding of a helicoil is that it reduces the inside diameter meaning you either have to use a different, smaller bolt, or you have to drill out the ruined thread to a larger diameter.

Always better to repair the existing thread if possible.

Having a complete repair kit has saved me days of down-time when I forget not to be a f'ing caveman. "Give it the gorilla handshake" as my buddy says.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts