Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Buick's and Holden's were never sold in the UK market apart from those Monaro pick up jobbies.
The Monaro was a two door sedan. They sold in the US as Pontiac GTO's for a few years. You are probably thinking of the Maloo ute. I know the Monaro also sold in the UK because as I mentioned earlier I remember Top Gear taking the piss out of it.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
The Monaro was a two door sedan. They sold in the US as Pontiac GTO's for a few years. You are probably thinking of the Maloo ute. I know the Monaro also sold in the UK because as I mentioned earlier I remember Top Gear taking the piss out of it.
I had to google images to see what a Monaro looked like, I dont see the GTO in it, almost similar to a Nova but not that close either. And that thing would not have sold over here for very long especially with the Camaro/firebird's.
In Sept of 1975 I ordered a new 76 Trans Am(think Smokey and the Bandit, although that was a 77)first Black TA for the state of Iowa, which was a firebird body, if it would have looked like that Monaro they would have never sold over here.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
76 TA(firebird/GTO body) and a 76 Monaro, I guess in my previous post I said it looks closer to a Nova but thats not true, probably is closer to a firebird but still not that close.
I have a friend that has a 67 Chevelle(Chevy) with a 396ci 4spd, he also has a Canadian version of the same car, same paint color, same 396ci 4spd, but its a Pontiac Beaumont and there some small differences like front grill and back tail lights/bumper but the body is the same. Maybe GM made cars for the Canadian market that were slightly different but the cars that GM made abroad were considerable different.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Not sure what you are disputing. They were sold to you good folk as a Pontiac GTO in 2004/06. As you can see the GTO badge has been added to the grille, in fact the whole grille area was changed for the US market. The fact that you don't remember is probably reflective of their lack of success.

Have a look here Pontiac GTO

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
I'll have to admit that I never saw one of those before, or it didn't registrar as a Pontiac Firebird/GTO, I've owned two firebirds, a TA and a GTO in my day, the 76 TA being the newest of them all.
I do see why they never caught on though, they look like a generic chevy malibu, generic being the key word, while the original firebirds/gto's/TA's had a distinct look just like the Camaro, and when they reintroduced the Camaro you knew what it was without a brand on it.
There is a company in Florida that is making a TA but it's not a Pontiac, its made from a Chevy Camaro and they sell from $70,000 up to $200,000 and they dont look like that thing you pictured!

·
Registered
314 Posts
A "Top Gear" review of the Monaro Road Test: Vauxhall Monaro 5.7 V8 2dr

">Fifteen minutes is all you need; 15 minutes of yowling in time with a huge supercharger, wheelspinning in third and grinning like a nutter. <" I want one please.

Like many main stream manufacturers, Vauxhall/Opel/GM Europe have created some dross and some gems. Early front wheel drive Cavalier, Astra GTEs of various years, Manta were all good cars for their time. Lotus Carlton was jaw dropping when it appeared, but fastest of all was the Astramax van

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Not sure what you are disputing. They were sold to you good folk as a Pontiac GTO in 2004/06. As you can see the GTO badge has been added to the grille, in fact the whole grille area was changed for the US market. The fact that you don't remember is probably reflective of their lack of success.

Have a look here Pontiac GTO
Actually they sold rather well, for a sporty GT car. But most people were already buying SUV/CUV by then.

They still command a decent price on the used market.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The current Camaro is anything but crap. It is a great performing sports car, for a lot less money than other more expensive brands with similar performance.
It's a lot less money because it's badly put together out of cheap materials. I would rather have a Mustang all day long.

·
Registered
609 Posts
These Monaro pick up's were sold in the UK with a Vauxhall badge, I think they were called Maloo's in Australia

·
Registered
609 Posts
Actually forget that, I'm getting bloody confused now It might have been called a Maloo in the UK I really can't remember:rolleyes:. The Monaro was called a VXR8 over here.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
It's a lot less money because it's badly put together out of cheap materials. I would rather have a Mustang all day long.
Yeah okay, but the mustang can not match the Camaro in actual performance on the track.

Oh and Ford is known to build some real stinkers, like a particular engine that spits out spark plugs or has to have the intake removed to change spark plugs.

I have a WRX and some car people complain the interior is dated and cheap looking. I don’t care. I bought the car for performance, not to sit in it and look at the dash board.

The Camaro is well put together where is counts.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yeah okay, but the mustang can not match the Camaro in actual performance on the track.

Oh and Ford is known to build some real stinkers, like a particular engine that spits out spark plugs or has to have the intake removed to change spark plugs.

I have a WRX and some car people complain the interior is dated and cheap looking. I don’t care. I bought the car for performance, not to sit in it and look at the dash board.

The Camaro is well put together where is counts.
To be honest, I'm not really a car lover so not really that qualified to pass comment on any of them, I'm just going on road tests that I've seen. I just see cars as a way of getting yer shopping and stuff.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
These Monaro pick up's were sold in the UK with a Vauxhall badge, I think they were called Maloo's in Australia

View attachment 720109
That wouldnt be called a pickup here in the US, from the late 50's up until the late 80's we had Chevy El Caminos, actually Ford started it all with the Ranchero but Chevy's rendition of the car/truck was a lot more popular, chevy el camino - Google Search
My youngest son loves them so I'm trying to find one to restore, I prefer the one from the late 60's, this is a 68

these have a look of the Chevy Chevelle and the later ones take on a look similar to the Malibu but I dont care for them.

There's actually some concepts of newer El Caminos and they look similar to the picture you showed.

A few years back Chevy introduced a SSR, sorta truck car combo but it didint last to long, they also came in convertibles.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
GM [Generic Motors] has been pathetic in the U.S. since the mid-1970's. I don't waste my money. ...J.D.
You have no clue. GM today is nothing like the malaise era of the 70s for Detroit iron. BTW, Ford and Chrysler were no better in the 70s.

Even today Ford has issues, and Chrysler is owned by Fiat. No thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'll have to admit that I never saw one of those before, or it didn't registrar as a Pontiac Firebird/GTO, I've owned two firebirds, a TA and a GTO in my day, the 76 TA being the newest of them all.
I do see why they never caught on though, they look like a generic chevy malibu, generic being the key word, while the original firebirds/gto's/TA's had a distinct look just like the Camaro, and when they reintroduced the Camaro you knew what it was without a brand on it.
There is a company in Florida that is making a TA but it's not a Pontiac, its made from a Chevy Camaro and they sell from $70,000 up to $200,000 and they dont look like that thing you pictured!
That's because it had nothing to do with the F Body Firebird/Camaro (and GTOs were "A" bodies in the 60s until that awful Nova/Ventura version in the 70s).

In the mid 2000s, the Holden Monaro VZ was actually imported (sent on a boat) from Oz with the front facia and tail section (like in the picture) but basically the same car with LHD as a Monaro VZ. It wasn't a copy made in the US... it was ACTUALLY made in OZ on the Monaro platform. It was the Monaro VXR in the UK.

I owned a 2005 6 Speed GTO in Phantom Black Metallic with the LS2 and it was a great GT car. You couldn't put enough tire under it for the HP and weight, so it wasn't exactly a canyon carver but it was reasonably "sprite" ... the IRS rear half shafts were a weak point if you DID get enough stick to the rear tires, it'd break the CV joint or twist the shaft. It was especially bad if you had any wheel hop (which they all had). But it made nice V8 noises, rode nicely (once you redid the radius bushings ... liquid filled and easily destroyed by the boat ride in some cases), was fun with the 6 speed and very nice leather interior. It didn't have a bunch of bling .. but you didn't really miss it because it was great at what it did.

They discontinued it in 2006, mainly because of new crash regs in the USA for 2007+

Anyway, interesting car (I always seem to gravitate to interesting cars ... still have my '87 Grand National I ordered new, had a Trailblazer SS (LS2 V8 4WD), a couple of Alfas back in the 80s and so on).

41 - 58 of 58 Posts