Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM has just announced the end of iconic Australian car brand Holden. One of the key reasons given was that GM are exiting the Right Hand Drive market. What does this mean for the British Isles? Any rumblings or press coverage over there?

·
Registered
193 Posts
and then there is Japan, India, South Africa and New Zealand. RHD markets. once GM closed down the Aussie making of Holden cars, sales tanked. the execs must have thought sales would remain the same and profits would increase due to cheaper made "Holdens" from Asia. surpised they wont be selleing RHD Colorados here though. it want that many years ago that Holdens were the biggest seller of cars here in Australia
Holden as stand alone brand Australian car was set up by Sir Laurence John Hartnett. I just read his story in "big wheels, little wheels". engineers and business leader who were not entirely driven by short term profits but for the greater good. there wartime effort was extraordinary. the current GM execs have pocketed billions in subsidies

·
Registered
458 Posts
Too bad GM doesn't close it's US operations. I would not give you a brass penny for anything they produce over here. ...J.D.
After owning pickup trucks for the last 35 years (Fords, Dodge, Nissan, Jeep J10, Toyota's, Chevy's, an old International and even a Ridgeline) the GMC sierra 1500 4x4 that I purchased new in 2011 has been the best truck out of them all. It now has 177,000 miles on it and never a major repair. Just regular maintenance items like brakes, tires, filters, fluid changes, wiper blades ect. Hell, even the paint still looks great, and the leather interior still looks beautiful. I'm in Florida, the AC is always on and its never even needed a re-charge. It doesn't have the highest towing capacity, doesn't get the best mileage, but its towed my bikes all over the country and my boat all over the state and its been rock solid and 100% reliable. The ride quality is still smooth as a Cadillac. Hey, that's GM too. I usually get a new truck every 5 or 6 years, I've never owned one for this long. The reason I haven't sold it and purchased another is because of the price that they want for a new fully loaded 4x4 truck now, its ridicules, about 15 grand more than I paid for this one. I just cant get past the prices now, so I'll be driving this one until the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Aussie car manufactures have been going down hill for over 10 years or more and one of the reasons GM and Ford closed down their plants here in Australia, and why would people want to buy a front wheel drive Holden's that are made in Asia, paying high prices where they can get cheaper made cars else where and GM don't care about the Aussie market as shown by pulling out altogether, I was surprised its taken them this long.
Its cheaper to produce cars from Asia and import them here than to build them here and with 5 to 7 year warranties Holden, Ford just couldn't compete, Ford have said they will stay but how long will that last as they are not made here.

Ashley

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
^^^ yeah, well the cheap re-badged Daiwos selling as Holdens didnt do too well for GM here. no one would buy them. GM is history here now, not even Asian GM imports

fact is GM wanted the Aussie made and designed Holdens to fail (look at their crap ads at the time) as they thought it would be more lucrative to import foreign made "Holdens" into Australia and hence greater profit, but it backfired for them as no one here wanted foreign Holdens with sales last year at their lowest volume since 1948.

according to Scotty Kilmer,
even in the USA GM is on the nose and will likely fold up altogether unless the existing management/directors quit and a new regime take over that's more customer focused. look at some youtube clips of GM in the 1930's when it was being run by engineers doing great things, they must be turning in their graves with the current crop of cads, bounders and rogues who couldnt lie straight in bed

·
Registered
125 Posts
I grew up with the Holden brand. So sad to see all those country mum and dad dealers close. Its really the end of an era.

But the decisions Holden management made reminded me of the decisions that BSA made in the last years of their exsistance. Some things never change huh

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
What does this mean for the British Isles? Any rumblings or press coverage over there?
No impact on the UK - GM offloaded Vauxhall / Opel to Peugeot Citroen in 2017. Whether PSA decide to keep Vauxhall operating after the UK leaves the EU is another matter.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Just wondering what is your Cage?

K
First, I refuse to buy new cars anymore. There are better uses for my money than making the automakers rich. They get rich making us think we need one of thier new, cheap, plastic toys every five years or so. I bought a used Volvo six years ago. I have a Nissan Titan crew cab I bought used during the recession in 2009. And I have an old Mitsubishi left over from my commuting days. Also bought used. As boring as that all sounds, it made me able to retire while I was still young enough to breathe, and walk. ...J.D.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Well if the dealers are smart enough they be selling other brand cars as well, so they should have no problems to stay in the auto market.

Ashley

·
Registered
832 Posts
GM has just announced the end of iconic Australian car brand Holden. One of the key reasons given was that GM are exiting the Right Hand Drive market. What does this mean for the British Isles? Any rumblings or press coverage over there?
The only remnants of GM over here in the UK was Vauxhall, but they were bought out by Peugeot a couple of years ago. A few years back Chevrolet tried breaking into the UK market but that didn't last long and it wasn't really what I would call proper Chevy's just little Korean hatchbacks really and a couple of SUV's.
From my understanding though hasn't GM been bailed out of the s**t on numerous occasions before over the years?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How about more than $2 Billion from our great government in subsidies to GM over past 12 years. I think that says more about our government than it does about GM.

·
Registered
832 Posts
How about more than $2 Billion from our great government in subsidies to GM over past 12 years. I think that says more about our government than it does about GM.
I think GM in America has had various government bailouts too, I know Vauxhall over here always seemed to be getting government 'help' in one form or another. I can't comment on Holden, but Vauxhall's never really seemed up to much so apart from keeping blokes in work I could never see much point in saving the company, If they can't stand on their own two feet as a company without help then surely something is very wrong.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Sadly Holden built some brilliant world class cars. Small domestic market, right hand drive, only realistic export market New Zealand. Yes the $2 Billion was all about jobs. People here have gone nuts over dual cab utes (pickups). Would you believe the Toyota Hilux and Ford Ranger were 1 and 2 in overall sales numbers for 2019 !

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
GM in the U.S. has had more baleouts than a leaking rowboat, and they keep getting richer. My take on it is GM management likes to play the government and thier customers for fools. They have been fleecing everyone for years and blaming thier problems on the auto workers. I like to get a little something for my money. You look at thier product when it is a little older and it looks cheap.and shabby. GM. You don't get any of MY dollars. ...J.D.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
I'm currently driving a Chevy(GMC) truck, has 248,000 miles on it, no major repair costs, the Chevy truck that this one replaced my son drove it to 275,000 and then wrecked it, the one before that I sold to a co-worker, he has driven it to over 300,000 and I know he had to change the rear main seal.
I never buy new and I'm looking now to buy my final Chevy (will retire this year)truck, I'll look for something around 40,000 miles, all I need for it to do is go to the same 250-300,000 that the others did and I'll be happy.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
The only remnants of GM over here in the UK was Vauxhall, but they were bought out by Peugeot a couple of years ago. A few years back Chevrolet tried breaking into the UK market but that didn't last long and it wasn't really what I would call proper Chevy's just little Korean hatchbacks really and a couple of SUV's.
From my understanding though hasn't GM been bailed out of the s**t on numerous occasions before over the years?
No. Just once recently, and they paid the loan faster than Lee Iacocca paid off Chrysler’s loan in the 80s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 58 Posts