Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to remove the reg/rec from my '04 Sprint ST. I'm probably being really dumb/naive, but I'm not having much luck.

There's very little space to get a socket wrench in place.
There's no angle from where I can actually see the bolts.
My 8mm socket is too big. My 7mm socket is too small. Is there some in-between size, or is it likely the bolts are rounded?

Anyone have any tips on getting the reg/rec out?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I replaced mine with Allens long ago, but according to the parts fiche those bolts are M6x25 and according to international standards that's usually a 10mm head. I also seem to recall them being the same size as the engine cover bolts, which are definitely 10mm heads.

The only tips I can give you are to take the tank off first, and to save up your best curse words for a few days beforehand. It's a much bigger PITA than it should be, and the angle the bolts go in at is just a little off from what seems right.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Kit, I've got the tank off already to dry it out as I discovered it's expanded.

They're definitely not 10mm bolts but it's not the OEM reg/rec either, I wonder if whoever changed it just used whatever bolts were lying around. Apparently there's an old imperial 5/16" size that's between 7 and 8 mm, so I'll try to take a picture of the bolts with my phone to make sure they're hex and if so get myself an imperial socket set.

Good advice on the curse words!

·
Registered
175 Posts
It is actually possible to remove and relpace the rr without removing anything from the bike.It took me about an hour, ALOT of curse words, and a scratch or two to wiggle those two bolts out using a small ratchet.
That being said, it would be MUCH quicker to disassemble the bike and do it.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
You should be fine with the SH775 and the Triumph harness.

Cheers,
-Kit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts