Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Gen-Mar risers (help)

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Bunkie 
#1 ·
My shoulder problems are forcing me to make this change. I have read somewhere about puting two sets of gen-mar risers together. That Gen-Mar has the longer bolt to let you do this. I will need to get a longer brake line. Has anyone else done this. I know I can get it done, but any advice is welcome. I should ad that I have one set on the bike now and I need a little more rise. Thanks.

#2 ·
Gen-Mars vs. Fairing

Hi,
What type of bike are you putting the risers on?
I have ONE set of Gen-Mar Risers on my '01 SPRINT ST.
The handles now come extremly close to where the windscreen is attached to the fairing!
It's still functional and I love the easier riding possition, but I can't see raising the bars any further on a '01 SPRINT ST.
In short, make sure the new bar possition won't knock into any other parts of the bike that might hinder steering range.
Rudy

#4 ·
Do yourself a favor before you just raise the bars. What you might be better of with is getting the bars back more than up or changing the angle of the bars.

Most risers just bring the bars up and only slightly rearward. Usually, more rearward attributes to comfort more than just higher. The same appiles to the angle of the bars. Try this (takes two eople):

Get on the bike and have someone push rearward on your chest. Find the seated position that is most comfortable. You'll probably notice that going higher than one set of GenMars isn't the answer, going rearward more is. The reason it takes two people is that if you do it by yourself, you're using a lot of stomach muscle to hold a position that probably isn't the most comfortable.

Unfortunantly, the GenMars aren't adjustable for rearward movement not do they let you change the angle of the bars, both would provide a personalized comfort level.

The higher in relation to your shoulder your arms get, the less accurate and slower steeeing becomes. Try it.

There is an answer though but it can take some doing. The bars that go into the clip ons can probably be removed. Most machine shops can bend a pair of bar ends than look like an L with giving you a more rearward straight up riding position. You'll neeed new cables but that is also true of double GenMars.

#9 ·
When I bought my '87 Trophy last year, it came with a double set of Gen-Mars. You are correct in that all you need are longer bolts (and longer brake lines).

I'm much taller than the former owner so the first thing I did was remove them and return the bike to stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.