Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a gel seat for my 02 ST. Anybody have experience with it? At 5' 10" and 220lbs., my sizable heiney needs something better for anything more than my commute.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have the gel seat on my 07 and for long trips it makes everything quite a bit more comfortable. I find that it has a slightly different shape as well so that it does not force you forward into the tank as much. I'm not sure if this will be the same for your model year, but I really like mine.
For the shorter, more spirited rides I throw my stock seat back on because I feel it offers more feel for the road and a more aggressive riding position better suited for the twisty stuff.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Hi 10Ring - I have a gel seat on my '08 and like it very much. It greatly extends the saddle time for me and I also prefer the shape to the stocker, mainly because the '08's have a different front mount so the stock seat rises near the tank. On my stock seat, I could feel the lump of the mount when getting my weight forward up next to the tank, which is where I like to be when I'm really running the bike hard. With the gel seat, I can slide right up against the tank, no problem.

Edit: I'm 5'10", 190 pounds in full gear.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
DaveM has one for his sizeable er! rearend. :)

He has mentioned that he throws a towel over it to keep it from getting too hot when he's parked in the sun but that he really likes it.

I have a stock seat which is fine for my much smaller bot bot! :p

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Steven is quite right.

I do love it and it is on my '04 I am also 5' 10" and weigh a tad over 220lbs.

It will absorb copious amounts of heat on a hot day if left uncovered this is the only fault.

IMHO that is.

DaveM

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've been using one for a few months on my '99 ST.

I'm just a hair under 6" and a hair over 270 lbs, so there's a lot being asked of any saddle.

It feels pretty odd and firm at first, compared to the foam stock seat, but once your caboose gets used to it (not long, a decent ride or two and it stops feeling weird), it's a lot more comfortable for longer rides. No feeling of butt on frame like the stock seat gives you after a few hundred miles.

Not saying your butt is singing happy songs after a long day (well, maybe if you had a burrito before you started the ride), but it's not crying like it would be on the stock seat either.

There's a good deal more friction due to the textured surface, which means there's a little learning curve if you're used to sliding a cheek off the seat in the twisties.

And it seems to raise you up about a half inch, which is fine for me, a little extra legroom to the pegs doesn't hurt.

Downside is, it kinda messes up the looks of the bike compared to the sleeker stock seat (what the hell is that strap good for, btw?), just kinda frumpy looking.

There's one on ebay right now that seems like a good deal. And with the rarity of 955 accesories, it should be NO problem to sell again if you're not happy with it.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
10-ring,

I had one on my '03 for four years. Dave's warning about the heat is understated. Not only does the seat get >really< hot, it stays hot for several minutes.

Also, mine developed a crack in the gel pad. I didn't know it at the time; I only noticed that the seat vinyl had developed a split at the welded seam on the right side, about where my thigh rests. If you look closely at the attached picture, you can barely see it. I later took the cover loose on the side to see if the split could be patched from the inside.

I had looked at alternatives. I have two friends with the Corbin Lady Gunfighter, but the covering is too smooth, and the seat pocket is way aft of the stock location. And, I had had a bad experience with Corbin's 'customer service' back in my HD days.

After visiting the Sargent shop in Jacksonville, I determined their seat was much closer to the stock shape. And, William told me that their seat would cost about $100 more than re-doing the gel seatpan. You also get their warranty and the sexy folding cargo hooks.

So, I have the Sargent. I selected the standard material, and had a silver welt put on to match my bike. The seat pocket is slightly aft of stock, and the shape puts me slightly higher on the bike. However, it is worlds better than the gel seat, and I don't need to worry about parbroiling my jewels on a sunny day.

If you want to pay the postage, I'll sell you the gel seat really cheap. PM me if you're interested. It'll be a little bit of money, but you won't pay $300 for a seat you don't like.

HTH, pr

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
10-ring,

I had one on my '03 for four years. Dave's warning about the heat is understated. Not only does the seat get >really< hot, it stays hot for several minutes.

Also, mine developed a crack in the gel pad. I didn't know it at the time; I only noticed that the seat vinyl had developed a split at the welded seam on the right side, about where my thigh rests. If you look closely at the attached picture, you can barely see it. I later took the cover loose on the side to see if the split could be patched from the inside.

HTH, pr
No I don't think I understated that I said COPIOUS amount of heat.
That problem is solved by covering it with your jacket or a small towell or similar.

As for the cracking, mine is four years old and been used mostly two up in all weathers. My bike is garaged so perhaps how it is looked after has some bearing on how the vinyl lasts.

I live in a pretty hot climate and have never regretted buying my Gel seat. Both my wife and I love it.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts