Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i had asked sevrin about links to read about gel batteries when he mentioned it in regards to them being easier to hide on a stripped down bike.

though the first link is dead the last one makes them look pretty great. my question is whether you think these will be workable on a bike (looks like they're developed for power tools)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well, they absolutely were developed for power tools, However a local guy on the Ducati Forums has been running them in his Paul Smart for about a year with no trouble at all.
On the 29th he is coming over to my place to install them on my buddies Sport 1000 so we shall see how it works out, but my guess is that the Ducati bikes atre pulling alot more power with the CPU and all the other electric. Here is a pic of the guys setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
How much wieght savings here?

Do they crank the high compression Ducati in cold weather?

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
I'm very interested in the out come as well

·
Registered
98 Posts
This could be very awesome! I've been looking into picking up a duc 999 gel battery (due to them being only 2.75 inches wide) and trying to mount horizontally in a custom battery box, but this looks much better/easier! I want the battery box gone!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I would imagine that you will lose a pound or two, but as neuro said, for me its about getting rid of the battery box all together, the battery is much smaller and can be shaped either long and thin or into smaller boxes so they can be stored out of the way. I would guess that the overall size and weight is about half of the stock battery so with that reduction alone its a couple pounds, then the removal of the box, half a pound?

overall its a pretty good reduction, but the main goal for me is to clean up what is arguably the ugliest part of the bike.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Quick search of the interwebs lists the standard triumph battery is about 9.5 lbs, the dewalt battery lists at 2.4... Not sure if that's right, but not a bad little perk to lose the weight and cleanup the battery box mess! :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, they absolutely were developed for power tools, However a local guy on the Ducati Forums has been running them in his Paul Smart for about a year with no trouble at all.
On the 29th he is coming over to my place to install them on my buddies Sport 1000 so we shall see how it works out, but my guess is that the Ducati bikes atre pulling alot more power with the CPU and all the other electric. Here is a pic of the guys setup.
Did you guys ever get around to the install on the Duck?

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Id like to get rid of the covers and battery as well...Ive been talking to my "creepy old triumph guy" about gel batteries...he doesnt think it would be any problem...

...now if this friggen warranty would hurry up and run out...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well I took the plunge yesterday and bought the a123 batteries, balancers, etc to give it a go. I'll post back once I get them all hooked up to report on how they work.

I plan on leaving the stock battery in the bike but disconnected for a few weeks while I run the new ones so I've got a backup if something goes awry. If all goes well I'll ditch the battery and box! Woohoo!

Also found the post re:this on the Ducati forum, and I am assuming that the install at Sevrin's place went just fine based on the posts towards the end of the thread...

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=51537

·
Registered
98 Posts
1st test - Success!

I bought my dewalt/A123 battery pack for this about a month or so ago, and have been very slowly working on this project. I got my packs all finished up and installed this weekend. Making the packs was pretty straight forward with the info available on the net. Only a few sparks :eek: due to me not paying attention to what I was doing.

The bike started right up, even seemed like she had a bit more juice available over the stock battery. She fired right up again this morning, and had no issues on the way to work. :D I've still got the stock battery on the bike, but not hooked up for just in case purposes while I test out the new pack. I plan on testing it for about two weeks before I remove the stock battery all together.

The 2 A123 packs are small enough to sit on top of the stock battery under the seat while testing! I'll post back as my test progresses.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Charging?

Once you guys got your packs assembled, how did you give them an initial charge? I have my balancer on the way but I would assume I need to get the packs up to full charge before hooking them up to the bike.
AB

·
Registered
98 Posts
Once you guys got your packs assembled, how did you give them an initial charge? I have my balancer on the way but I would assume I need to get the packs up to full charge before hooking them up to the bike.
AB
I threw mine on a battery tender, but the batteries had a charge already. You may have enough juice in them to not need to charge them first.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
now all we need is for someone to come up with a plug&play solution .
Anyone??

1 - 20 of 109 Posts