Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking to gear down my Tiger. Stock rear is 50 and like to change to a 52.
Dealer advised not to drop the front one tooth but that may be only option because none of the aftermarket sprockets are available yet in the size I want.
Any of you running the smaller front with success?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I dropped one tooth on the front for a while. While it was fun to ride it was one thirst sum gun. The best I remember it dropped about 10 mpg. This is for real others experienced the same thing. If you decide to do it the DL650 (V-Strom) sprocket fits it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi:

I am down one gear on the engine and 23,000 miles later all is

o.k. Last trip I averaged 49.5 mpg. You loose a tad on the

start off but not enough to really notice.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi:

I am down one gear on the engine and 23,000 miles later all is

o.k. Last trip I averaged 49.5 mpg. You loose a tad on the

start off but not enough to really notice.
What exactly do you mean "you loose a little on start off?"
Loose power or loose economy?
Loosing power doesn't make any sense so I assume your saying economy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Cburt,
If you lower the gearing you pick up acceleration but lose top speed (and potentially economy), conversely raising the gearing you lose acceleration but gain a higher speed.
The power stays the same at the engine but the effect IS noticeable at the wheel

I wish the XC had a lower 1st gear and a taller 6th gear.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I know this is a late post on this subject, but I changed to a 15 tooth front gear with good results. I'm getting around 43mpg on a normal ride and down to around 39mph on a really hard run. At 6000rpm in 6th gear it indicates 81mph, true mph is closer to 75mph. I have the 800 ABS, so the mph didn't change because of the gear change. The reason that I changed the gearing is that the bike felt lazy in the 6to10,000 rpm range. I'm satisfied with results. I realize this isn't for everybody.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Really late to this post, but here's an opinion.

First, I agree that Triumph transmissions are too close! For the flat-tish torque curve of the engines - expecially the 800 - a much wider transmission (-25% 1st, + 20% 6th, and spread in-between) would be great. That would make the transmisison harder to package - oh, well. Not user-adjustable. Next option.

While it is fun to increase acceleration by reducing the gearing - bigger rear &/or smaller front sprocket - the only real useful impact is to reduce 1st gear so you can go slower at higher RPM. That is not terribly useful. Also, reducing the overall gearing tightens up the transmission too (as in, where a 4,000 RPM range may have translated to 40 MPH spread in a gear before, it will now only be maybe 35 MPH).

So I opt to go the other way - am going from the 16-50 OEM gearing to 17-47 (a 13% change to taller gearing). In 1st, the same RPM that used to be 15 MPH will become 17 MPH - only 2 MPH faster. Not really a game-changer.

BUT - in 6th gear, the same RPM that was 75 MPH will now be 85 MPH - or, thinking the other way, 6,000 RPM at ~80 MPH becomes 5,520 RPM. Much less busy.

If I find the acceleration to sluggish in 6th, I'll shift to 5th or even 4th. Whatever. NOTE: The transmission intergear-difference between 5-6 is 9%; it's about 13% between 4-5. So my change makes:
+ the new 4th is the same as the original 5th,
+ the new 5th a little taller then the orignal 6th,
+ the new 6th is a much-taller cruising / highway gear.

In the low-end, there is a 25% difference 1-2, so the new 1st is about halfway between the original 1st and 2nd. Since I can pretty easily start out in 2nd now, that won't be a problem.

I've made the - for me - mistake of gearing down previous bikes (Speed Triple, Trophy, another Speed Triple) - only to feel it too busy at highway speeds and to then go the other way to taller-than-stock gearing.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
85 Posts

First, I agree that Triumph transmissions are too close! For the flat-tish torque curve of the engines - expecially the 800 - a much wider transmission (-25% 1st, + 20% 6th, and spread in-between) would be great. That would make the transmisison harder to package - oh, well. Not user-adjustable. Next option.

While it is fun to increase acceleration by reducing the gearing - bigger rear &/or smaller front sprocket - the only real useful impact is to reduce 1st gear so you can go slower at higher RPM. That is not terribly useful. Also, reducing the overall gearing tightens up the transmission too (as in, where a 4,000 RPM range may have translated to 40 MPH spread in a gear before, it will now only be maybe 35 MPH).

So I opt to go the other way - am going from the 16-50 OEM gearing to 17-47 (a 13% change to taller gearing). In 1st, the same RPM that used to be 15 MPH will become 17 MPH - only 2 MPH faster. Not really a game-changer.

BUT - in 6th gear, the same RPM that was 75 MPH will now be 85 MPH - or, thinking the other way, 6,000 RPM at ~80 MPH becomes 5,520 RPM. Much less busy.

If I find the acceleration to sluggish in 6th, I'll shift to 5th or even 4th. Whatever. NOTE: The transmission intergear-difference between 5-6 is 9%; it's about 13% between 4-5. So my change makes:

In the low-end, there is a 25% difference 1-2, so the new 1st is about halfway between the original 1st and 2nd. Since I can pretty easily start out in 2nd now, that won't be a problem.

I've made the - for me - mistake of gearing down previous bikes (Speed Triple, Trophy, another Speed Triple) - only to feel it too busy at highway speeds and to then go the other way to taller-than-stock gearing.

Just my 2 cents.
any improvement in fuel economy. wondering if you had a power commander if you could further tweak the settings and gain another 10% of MPG.

·
Registered
81 Posts
gearing & mpg

any improvement in fuel economy. wondering if you had a power commander if you could further tweak the settings and gain another 10% of MPG.
Dunno about the fuel economy - I always tell myself I am going to track, record and check that - and never do. Two things hurt my MPG, though - one, I used TuneECU to load the proper map for the Arrow exhaust; and two, I ride faster than best-economy.

Having said that, on the way in to work this AM, at 5,000 RPM and 82 MPH indicated (78 actual), the instantaneous-MPG number on the screen was varying between 41-46 MPG, depending on the slope of the road. So lets say 43 MPG at an honest 78 MPH.

Note that before the gearing change, that same 5,000 RPM would be about 69 MPH, not 78.

I have no intention of trying to adjust for better economy - too much risk. As it is now, it's smooth and plenty powerful.

Thanks for asking.

Neil

·
Registered
17 Posts
800XC gearing

All somebody would need to do is have 5th and 6th gears remade about 10% and 25% higher. Then you could put a larger sprocket on the rear or drop a tooth or two on the front and we would have the gearing this thing needs. With all these members somebody must have access to a CNC machine and the proper hardening process.

Wheelie John

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All somebody would need to do is have 5th and 6th gears remade about 10% and 25% higher. Then you could put a larger sprocket on the rear or drop a tooth or two on the front and we would have the gearing this thing needs. With all these members somebody must have access to a CNC machine and the proper hardening process.

Wheelie John
Wow, that should be an easy Sunday afternoon project John. LOL
Think I will pass on making gears myself and tearing down the entire motor.
Still haven't done anything about dropping the gearing (after 14,000 miles)
Origonally the intent was more power.
With the 2006 Sprint I owned it woke that bike up dropping a tooth in the front.
I have the sprocket, haven't had the time to install it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nchristie, Thanks for the detailed info on the gearing change. One question, did you buy the replacement gears from Triumph, or are they aftermarket?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I dropped a tooth on the front sprocket to improve (lower) 1st gear. I didn't like how much it lowered 6th gear so I went back to stock.
Here's another vote for a lower 1st and taller 6th in the transmission.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
65 Posts
What would happen if I just changed the front gear to 17t alone or the back gear 47t alone????
Should I get the 520 or 525 pitch?

I think I am going to do this too.
I always felt the Tiger was too busy at highway speeds.
Any suggestions where,what brand gears do I buy?
Can I still use the original chain?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts

BUT - in 6th gear, the same RPM that was 75 MPH will now be 85 MPH - or, thinking the other way, 6,000 RPM at ~80 MPH becomes 5,520 RPM.

If I find the acceleration to sluggish in 6th, I'll shift to 5th or even 4th. Whatever.
NOTE: The transmission intergear-difference between 5-6 is 9%; it's about 13% between 4-5. So my change makes:

Just my 2 cents.
This is called, "Having your cake and eating it too."

When I want/need to maintain 85+MPH sustained, the LASTthing I want is shorter gearing. It just makes a lousy situation worse.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know this is a late post on this subject, but I changed to a 15 tooth front gear with good results. I'm getting around 43mpg on a normal ride and down to around 39mph on a really hard run. At 6000rpm in 6th gear it indicates 81mph, true mph is closer to 75mph. I have the 800 ABS, so the mph didn't change because of the gear change. The reason that I changed the gearing is that the bike felt lazy in the 6to10,000 rpm range. I'm satisfied with results. I realize this isn't for everybody.
There is no reason to ride a 800 at 10,000 RPM, the torque/power band ends at 8000RPM.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 13 800 ABS, and I found the bike a tad whining at speeds over 75PM, so I have gone up 1 to make it a tad taller. Its a urban bike overall, could careless about low end 1st gear, as you can leave a stop in second with the torque IMO.

Since the torque band ends at 8000rpm, at 75MPH its way too much buzzing, much better with a taller gear, cuz here in Chicago,I have to ride 2 hours on the highway to get anywhere rural/fun/outdoors...:D

1 - 20 of 42 Posts