Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that some where along the track this has been covered, but my bike is going in for its 12 month service, and im considering have i tooth added to the front sprocket, as i do alot of long distance riding, and the bike is to revvy for my liking at highway speeds. My question is, has anyone done it, if so do they recommend it or did you go back to standard?? Just want to make sure, so that i dont waste time or money.. Cheers.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Mine is still stock. Adding a front tooth would bring it down, but most likely at the cost of acceleration. But if you do mostly free-way cruising I don't see why it would hurt. You would probably have to have the speedo corrected.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I've thought about this too. My drive to work is about 30 miles of highway droning and it does get a bit tiring. The bike has such a good flat torque curve I think it'd still pull fine in 6th at freeway speeds.

Personally I think I'd be willing to sacrifice a bit of low end acceleration for a bit more relaxed engine speed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im not over concerned about the rate of acceleration, i doubt going up a tooth on the front would make a huge difference also, i would like to just "take the edge off" on these frequent long distance rides.

So what do you think, will i need to go up one on the front and down 1 on the rear, or would just one up on the front make a noticeable difference.

Either way im booked in tomorrow so i will let you know the outcome.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I guess I'd address it with your dealer's service people, see what they suggest. I would think just going one up on the front sprocket might be enough to effect a change w/o causing other issues.

Good luck and thanks in advance for keeping us posted on what you come up with!

·
Registered
105 Posts
19 Tooth

Its a matter of taste, but I went to 19T and have really enjoyed the ride ever since. Much more relaxed. :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Go 1 up on the front sprocket and you will see a differance in your RPM's for sure. going 1 up on the front sprocket is like going 2 down on the rear. It is cheaper but you will loose acceleration.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well got bike back from its annual service, went up 1 tooth on the front and it has definitely produced pleasant results, albeit very subtle.
It still pulls very hard through all the gears, and in final pulls around 500 less revs at 100km per hour. Which is noticeably more comfortable. The biggest change is the fact that i require now to use a little clutch to roll of from the lights, but only slightly. Too be honest im still considering going down one on the rear, but this may make the bike a little difficult at the lights, which doesn't happen too often. All in all, very happy with results, and can recommend to anyone looking for a relaxed engine speed whilst cruising.

PS: Don't be put of by lack of acceleration either, she still pulls very hard! In fact power wheelies seem more frequent???

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'd like to see some mpg figures. I know it's relative, but it would be nice to see this mod deliver a couple more mpg. Perhaps those here that have made a tooth-count mod can re-verify their mileage figures? :)

Neanderthal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts