Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have been following the threads dedicated to increasing horsepower and I am after more mid range grunt mainly, as well as using a few less revs at motorway cruising speeds.

However I rarely see reference to gearing. If I make mods that lead to an increase of hp from 50 - 75hp then I presume I would either fit a smaller rear or larger front sprocket to make the most of the new power. Is my thinking right on this?

Peter

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I was looking to lower my revs on the highway I did a bit of searching for "sprockets", "19 tooth sprockets", and similar. Your use of "gear" will get you to a different line of informaiton.

I'm waiting for my 19T sprocket to arrive so I can't give any first hand experience yet.

Ray

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Changing the front sprocket is the easiest - and cheapest - way to alter that sort of thing. I have a 19 on my Bonneville and like it a lot; it suits how I usually ride. They cost about twenty bucks and take about twenty minutes to install, so experiment!

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
you can run a 19 up front with the bigger motors but most of the hp gains are in the 7000+rpm range.You do pick up torque though.I like the 18 for the best of both worlds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts