Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a year 2000 ST 955 and have just finished touring France with 2 up and both panniers and top box on.
I found pulling away smoothley in 1st Gear very difficult as I had to slip the clutch quite a lot to achieve this. 1st gear seems very tall. This was made worse by the temperatures we were riding in ( 35 degs C) as when hot the fuel injection seemed a bit fluffy.
The bike has had a recent service with the throttle bodies checked etc.
Would I be better off changing the gearing by increasing the rear sprocket etc.
It currently has the stock front and rear sprockets.
I know this would increase fuel consuption slightly but thats not a big issue.
I would just like better/ smoother starts from stationary.

Cheers

·
Registered
509 Posts
I would just drop a tooth on the front sprocket. The rough equivalent of going 3 up on the rear.

I wouldn't worry about the fuel consumption, the extra weight of your pillion is likely to have a bigger effect than the change in final drive gearing. I have often, when in states with unrealistically low speed limits, just left my bike in 4th or 5th gear rather than upshifting to 6th. No noticeable difference in fuel consumption. It really is more a function of acceleration and overall cruising speed than gearing (within reason).

The best fuel consumption I have gotten on any of my bikes was when running the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway in VA and NC. I was trying to average 45mph (the speed limit) without ever going over 50. This basically means riding the whole road in 3rd gear and never touching the brakes. 430 miles of this and I got over 50 mpg on my R1100S which had never given better than 40 in its life.

·
Premium Member
24,407 Posts
Welcome

Hi and welcome to the forum Pebbles33:)

Don and I ask all noobs to please read our forum stickies and yes we ask everybody to do this.:)

Shovelstroked is correct about the sprocket many of us here run an 18 tooth up front instaed of the 19 stocker.

You will find it helps a lot with low speed manouvering, taking off and drive out of bends.

Unless you live on an Autobahn there are no real draw backs to this simple and inexpensive mod.

cheers
DaveM:cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.