Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just spent the weekend doing the twisties thru BC,s okanogan loved the ride but felt the bike was reving too high for the speed 7k at 130 kph kind of range pipes turned blue (bike has 6 k kilometers well broken in) Has anyone changed their gearing? if so how much. I realize it has a red line of 13000 but a 130 isn't very fast to be reving that much.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am considering going one up tooth in front, then later one down in the back. But I will have to wait until I have finished running her in.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm pretty happy with the stock gearing. Plenty of acceleration and enough top end to get to 140MPH. Fuel milage is pretty good. I see no reason to change mine.

At least there's useable power just about every where in the Striple's range. Go ride an R6. You'll soon learn what it means to have to keep the RPMs up.

·
Super Moderator
4,765 Posts
You must be coming off a big twin or something else. 7k at 80mph is not high revving at all. I frequently find myself running in 5th instead of 6th in fact unless I'm on the Interstate or someplace else dead straight. I do find it really nice being able to make quick roll on passes even in 6th. I've had a couple small bikes that actually matched rpm to speed so 80mph would be 8k.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I toyed with the idea of changing the gearing but decided to skip that idea. I'm getting used to the revs @ freeway speeds and in reality I'd much rather have good passing power at 6K vs having to downshift to 4th on your typical 600cc 4 cyl. bike.

I still get between 44-48 mpg no matter how hard I flog it, so I guess I shouldn't gripe either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts