Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently dropped my 06 thruxton... I forgot to remove the brake disk lock and down she went. After the initial shock and then embarrassment once I realized what I had done, the only real damage was a bent clutch lever and gearchange pedal. Which brings me to my question...

Does anyone know how to remove one of these? It appears to just be connected via an allen wrench. However after repeated attempts to loosen it, it looks like I am only stripping it.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I would really rather avoid paying the $110 hourly rate that Manhattan mechanics demand for what seems like such an easy fix.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You're in good company with that drop....

To be clear, is the it only the gearshift pin that your boot touches, or the entire arm?

If its the arm, there's an allen screw holding it in place, and it should come out. If thats not working (remember, these are metric screws so if you used non-metric allen tools you might have stripped it)....then I'd take it to the shop for repair as its such a small screw.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Like jquattro said, make sure you're using metric hex keys to remove it. If I recall, it's an M6 bolt so you should need a 5mm key.
If you've already stripped out the bolt head and you will already need a new one anyway, heres one trick that sometimes works. Take a set of torx bits and find one that is just a bit too big to fit into the head of the bolt. You can tap it in with a hammer and this will often bite enough to get it out. Failing this you will have to resort to other methods like drilling and using a screw extractor that may require bringing the bike to a shop.
Hopefully this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Try the last two posts and, if that doesn't work, take a drill bit that is the same size as the screw head and just drill the head off. Once you have the head off, the screw will be released. Then take a screwdriver and gently pry open the gap in the pedal where it grabs onto the spline. The pedal should pull right off. If you are replacing the pedal, it wont make any difference if the drill job isn't neat.

·
Registered
11,043 Posts
And before you remove the old pedal, pay attention to how it's aligned, so you can get the new one in the same position (or adjust to suit without guessing about it).

·
Registered
426 Posts
Also, the hex bolt must be removed completely, not just loosened, for the lever to come off the shaft. Inspect the shaft for straightness, it might be bent. It will tolerate a bit of bend, but too much and you've got a problem.
"Normal" position of the lever is for the small dot on the shaft to line up with the gap in the lever.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I would not drill the head off, as the lever will not come off without complete removal of the fastener.
the pounded in torx bit might be your best bet
G

·
Registered
338 Posts
Here are $.02 more: <u>it's always a good policy to make sure to tighten the bolt according to the specified torque spec.</u> Undertighten it, the arm can move; overtighten it, the bolt can break. I believe that the torque spec for that bolt is 9Nm, but that's off the top of my head and I'd have to double check the manual to be sure. I don't have access to the manual right now; can anyone else check their manual?
<p align="center">
</p>

·
Premium Member
4,098 Posts
I believe torque specs can be found in the Wiki section.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Although my bike has never been dropped, after removing said pinch bolt, I had to use a gear extractor to pull mine off

1 - 10 of 10 Posts