Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
hello
i found this broken bronze thrust washers in my gearbox
the hole in the thrust washers fits in a pin but the pin is worn
what can i do about it, can i do something without going to an
mechanik

muze
Dear Muze,

It is always a good thing when posting to include some info about make and model.

I could not open the image you posted but they look to me to be thrust washers which live on both ends of the layshaft.

It will require of you to wholly dismantle the gearbox, remove the layshaft, check why the thrust washer broke, check for bearing and bush wear, check gear condition, reassemble, index the gear selector, and you're done!!

If you think you're up to this, we can help advise you further. RR

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
If the damaged pin is on the inner gearbox cover,its a little easier to remove.
I removed one at the other end inside the box,by drilling it on centre and tapping a 2mm thread in it.Then use a 2mm screw to pull it out.Put a washer on the screw and blocks or a spacer between the washer and the case.Tighten the screw into the pin and the pin should pull out of the case.

Most people grind the pin off level with the case,and drill a new pin hole at a different position.Even that takes some skill,and a new pin.I think I just used a piece of welding rod to make a new pin;it was a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Hello Muze, I kinda had the same problem. I am doing a full rebuild on my tiger and I found my pin to be worn down to about only .030 sticking out. I coultnt get pliers on it to remove it after I heated the case up. i took Mr. Petes advice and very carefully drilled and tapped for a #4-40 machine screw. I cannot stress enough how you must be on center so you dont do damage to the aluminum or use a smaller tap. I couldnt find one .My situation worked and I made a new peg @ .125 by.375 long. I ground one end so it was the same angle as a drill bit and after tapping it in it was sticking out like it is suppose to. I hope this helps. Mike

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Another tidbit of advice Muze,if your thinking if grinding the remains of the pin flush to the case and just installing a new washer,think again.The new bronze washer will wear out the aluminum inside the gearbox in no time.I don`t have to paint you a picture of what that will end costing,do I ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts