Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK let me start out by saying that I'm an idiot as far as all things mechanical but I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to figure things out. That said....

I have a 73 TR7RV. My clutch cable snapped yesterday leaving the metal end somewhere inside my gearbox. Replacing the cable is easy enough...hell getting the outer cover of the gearbox off seems easy enough too. The problem I'm having (and this is hard to admit in public) is that I can't find the ***** gearbox oil drain. My owners manual has a small simple drawing that looks NOTHING like what's under my bike and the Haynes manual assumes you know what you're doing and doesn't show any pictures. Does anyone know where I can get a good image of what it looks like and where it is?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
There are two hex headed items under there. One is long...that is the detent plunger housing. The other is the drain plug. It might have a small bolt in the middle, or it may not, if someone has replaced the original level plug with a simple plug.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found it after taking a break and posting that message. It was 'gunked' over and hard to see in my poorly lit garage. I was expecting something longer/tubular based on the diagram I was looking at. Didn't realize it was flush with the bike.

Anyway...once I drained the oil and got the foot peg off it was a pretty quick job to get the gearbox open. fish out the piece of metal and close it back up. Not being very mechanically inclined I'm now paranoid that the transmission is going to fall out next time I go for a ride but it seemed to run a little smoother than it did before I opened it up so I'll just have to wait and see.

[ This message was edited by: jonkull on 2006-12-01 15:02 ]

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
So, the question now it...........WHY SO MUCH GUNK? Oh, you're like me and don't polish the bottom of your bike anymore. OK. No problem. Good, glad to hear that you're back on the road.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I spray brake cleaner on the bottom pf motor and tranny aftrer each ride. It evaporates quickly and I wipe it down. That keeps the gunk from building up.
Glad you found the drain bolt. I don't konow about yours but on the older Triumps there is a plunger spring retainer bolt,( has a dome like shape) that could be confused with a drain bolt. DON'T take that one out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On 2006-12-01 19:35, Mecchanica wrote:
So, the question now it...........WHY SO MUCH GUNK? Oh, you're like me and don't polish the bottom of your bike anymore. OK. No problem. Good, glad to hear that you're back on the road.
Actually I've only owned it for a few months and I've been putting more energy into fixing the thing (or having it fixed) than keeping it clean. It's about due for a good bath though. I don't think it's been washed in years.

Yeah, I'm back on the road...but for how long?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts