Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm riding the T-100 Bonnie right now, in the hills and curves of Western Maryland/WV/South Central Penna. This is my fifth bike, over a 40 year period, with 20+ years of family interrupting my riding. About 100,000 miles under my belt.
I'm planning my next Triumph, and will eventually get the Speed Triple and Rocket III, but wondering what my next purchase should be. For local riding the Speed Triple will be the most fun, but my children and Grandchildren all live in Flordia, and in about 8 years I will be moving there to retire. I'm thinking that if I had the Rocket I would take annual trips to Flordia before retirement, but not on the Speed Triple (I may be wrong).
My concern is that with the Rocket, I may never get out of second gear for local riding, will not have the gear selection for the wide variety of hills and curves that I enjoy. I do not know where the Rocket red lines, but figure it is 6000+. With the Bonnie, 3000rmps does not give me the pulling power for the traction that I like, so I do most turns at 4500+.
I understand that the straight Rocket or classic does corner well all things considered. Nice balance in the show room although I did not ride it. Am I right in thinking the Rocket is best on the open road, locally will have to slow down on the curves because of limited gear selection?
I'm thinking if I get the Rocket next, I'll be riding the Bonnie mostly except for the annual trip to Flordia (with routine practice ride time on the local interstates). I would rather keep the milage low on the Bonnie, as I plan on giving it to my grandson when he turns 21.
I ride a lot, about 10,000 miles a year. Have a heated vest and gloves, 22 degrees won't stop me if the roads are dry.
All input welcome.
Thanks.

·
Registered
761 Posts
We ride from Western new York to PA all the time-it's like a second home. You need to re-consider. The R3 RULES in the hills. Gear selection is the last of my thoughts with the power the R3 puts out at any speed in any gear. I've spent time in 3rd for 20-30 miles of twisties in PA-what a complete blast. Hit a stright (few and far between0 and run it up, band it back down for the next section, and repeat all day!
Spent a few days on Tigers and S3's also. No issure there either.
BTW, Trish from RoadBike mag. rode the S3 800 plus miles each way to the Honda Hoot-she liked it just fine.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very encouraging, just what I wanted to hear. I really have a preference for the Rocket.
Thanks KOF.
I hope your Monarchy doesn't discourage dissenters.
All opinions still welcomed.

·
Registered
876 Posts
You really need to take a good test ride on a Rocket to understand it. The pulling power out of corners is AMAZING.. to say the least. You will never lack for passing power, or power of any kind.. :)

A Speed Triple is lighter and will whip through the twisties easier, but the Rocket is no slouch there either. Plus, the Rocket can be transformed from a sporty ride into a tourer in a matter of minutes.

I ride with just the fly screen for most of the year and use my Rocket as my daily ride to and from work. For winter, and some trips, I swap the fly screen for Triumph's Roadster screen and lowers, and throw my bags on and hit the road.. :)

I'm at 39,000+ miles now and still going strong.. :)

Oh.. and like your handle "BeHereNow" says.. On the Rocket, if you intend to really twist the throttle, you better make sure you have a clear path, because you WILL Be There Now!.. :)

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
I have two daughters on the West Coast, i'm wondering if Florida will be the place to retire in eight years..? You better secure a spot now. I usually visit them around X-mass and love the ride to the Keys from Punta Gorda. The only problem i can forsee, the Rocket runs alot hotter than most bikes i've ridden and you'll want to keep yourself hydrated in the summer months. The heat can become overwhelming at times in the sunshine state.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
I can only add my endorsement of what the guys have said thus far. You will not find gear selection at all limiting in local riding, or even in twisties! That's the beauty of having all that torque available.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I commute from Waldorf, Md. to DC on my Rocket 3 Tour and stay in 5th gear on the highway and either 3rd or 4th in the city with 154 lb feet of torque you don't even have to worry about lugging the engine. Even riding in the twisties I normally dont have to downshift and never below 4th gear. This bad boy is just what its name implies a Rocket in the twisties and on the highway.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Ditto all of the above.

On a trip up the blue ridge parkway last year, my friend behind me on a Sprint ST was watching me ride, and when we stopped he asked me, "Do you ever downshift?".

"No, not really."

Keeping this bike in higher gears makes it easier to control, more predictable. Lower gears, and slam the throttle, it will slap you down and take your lunch money away from you.

You need to spend a couple of hours on one to understand.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I was seriously looking at a Tiger for a more relaxed riding position for the long rides. I had taken Rockets out for test rides before so I knew what to expect, but then I took a test ride on the R3 Tour, and that was all it took.
Find a good dealer that will let you take long demo on one, & thats the only way to explain it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TRIIICK: We have three kids, and two grandkids so far, all in the St Augustine – Gainesville area. We have remodeled our home here in MD, and will be selling it buy in Florida. We are starting to watch the market, but are not in any shape to buy now. We're hoping the house market stays soft a few more years.
They are far enough North that the heat isn’t so bad.

~ ~ ~ ~

Thanks for all of the comments.
I plan to have a T-100, R3 and S3 in the garage all at the same time, so with my budget I’ll have to buy the R3 & S3 used (Let the buyer beware).
I really won’t be ready to buy the R3 for about two years. I want to start watching the internet prices, to see what the market prices are. I know I’ve seen some good deals with accessories I would want at prices that look like stock.
Buying new is easy, tell the dealer what you want and get out the checkbook. Used at a good price is a lot more work, but allows the money to go further.
I wanted to settle on the S3 or R3 to know what to shop for, and the R3 it is. The S3 will come later.
I suffer with dialup due to my remote location, so research is slow. Satellite is the only broadband available, too much money for so-so service.
I’ve learned more from these few posts than reading 4 or 5 magazine reviews.
I'm finally getting the picture.
Thanks

·
Registered
648 Posts
I’ve learned more from these few posts than reading 4 or 5 magazine reviews.
I'm finally getting the picture.
Magazine writers are, for the most part a bunch of butt kissers. They can't say too much negative about any bike they test 'cause the manufacturers spend money on advertisements. They also tend to be sport bike enthusiasts as well and often shy away from large motorcycles. You'll always get more accurate information from real world, end users such as the folks here. We don't have an agenda when recommending a particular motorcycle and we do have first hand experience.
I concur with the others here as far as the Rocket III goes.
I've owned many bikes in the 48 years I've been riding and my Rocket III stands out as the most fun. As far as when and where I ride it, I ride it whenever it suites me, whether it's up to the store or a 400 mile ride. I love my new '09 Bonneville and other motorcycles as well but for the longer rides, my Goldwing or Rocket III are always my choice ;)
The Rocket III does it all! :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Xchoppers
Lots of wisdom there.
Not positive you meant to make the general statement about (all) magazine writers, but I'll give you credit for it. Same thing with photography and cameras, and of course cars. Any 'enthusiast' magazine writer is writing more for the manufacturer than the enthusiast.
I would like to take some rides to Florida, and also expect to hand the Bonnie down to my eldest grandson in 4 or 5 years (with more on the way). I want to be sure if there is only one bike in the garage it is the right one.
What I didn't catch on to is that third gear will take me from the stop light to the top of the hill.
I'll be trying to make my two year plan into a one year plan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts