Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All -

Broke the gear shift bolt (the rubber bit that you click up/down with your left boot). Have a new on on order - but will take a week. Has anyone ever rigged something temporarily that works? It seems to be an 8mm thread and I'm sure a 2.5 inch long bolt will do the trick - but a bolt like that only goes in half way and I don't want to force it/damage the threads. Any advice?

Of course other than "just sit and wait the week" :)

[ This message was edited by: jquattro on 2006-11-29 16:56 ]

·
Registered
547 Posts
hey JQ, bummer, had this before when falling off on the gearshift side a long way from home... A bolt'll do the job though - bit of loctite would make it stay there and as long as you don't cross-thread it you'd be fine - good luck cheers Pat

·
Registered
52 Posts
I used a bolt smaller than the threaded hole, so it would go right through. I reinforced it with about 5 nuts and a couple of washers, tightening on both sides of the lever (bolt head at the far left (outbord) end. Even slipped the rubber over the end when I was finished. This worked very well whilst the ship crossed the ocean with a new pin.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, gents....fitted an 8mm bolt and it works just fine (must have been some kind of locktite in there from factory...made it stiff going in) - a bit of foam rubber to save my boot tops from scrapes and well...RIDE!

And Pat - yeah, ya haven't lived till ya rode home shifting on just the lever....!

[ This message was edited by: jquattro on 2006-11-29 20:38 ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts