Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen a few post about the gear selector failing after dropping the modern twins. Seems the foot lever is too strong and needs to fail before the selector shaft gets bent. Whats the solution , cut a groove in the lever so it breaks ? Seems Triumph have facked up.

·
Registered
93 Posts
...or just don't drop yr bike.

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
Let's see after I get the repair, what the deal is. I'll get as much detail as possible. And I have to concur, not crashing would have been my first choice on Friday!

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Perhaps they should engineer a "relief groove" like on some clutch levers:

Or even provide a folding lever peg as used on dirt bikes that are likely to be dropped often, like this:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Let's see after I get the repair, what the deal is. I'll get as much detail as possible. And I have to concur, not crashing would have been my first choice on Friday!
Didn't see the other thread until now, sorry to hear about your crash, (such a beautiful new bike too) but more importantly, glad to hear you're not hurt, and the damage was minimal...

Also just read the entire old thread by stealthmode666 about his crash. One hell of a story. Every-time I hear a story like that it reminds me of how valuable, no matter how expensive it may seem, good riding gear is.

Reactions: gabbydad

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
If the footrest didn't fold up, maybe that would hit first and prevent the gear change lever coming into contact with the road.

You could remove the pin and fit an L shaped bracket over the folding part to stop it folding up.

Folding footrests were there for kickstarts.

Edit

On second thoughts I think I read one review that said the footrests were designed to lift due to ground clearance and are fitted with wear pegs for that reason.

So my suggestion above is bollocks and should be ignored.

·
Registered
14 Posts
sorry to hear about your crash gabbydad. glad youre okay. i'm also having selector issues after my new thrux fell over. it seems the problem is that the selector is not resetting after upshifts. unfortunately my dealer wont be able to look at it until they replace their recently fired mechanic. i can still ride it if i manually reset the shifter. but if it's not just something simple like a return spring i'm afraid i may damage it more

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
sorry to hear about your crash gabbydad. glad youre okay. i'm also having selector issues after my new thrux fell over. it seems the problem is that the selector is not resetting after upshifts. unfortunately my dealer wont be able to look at it until they replace their recently fired mechanic. i can still ride it if i manually reset the shifter. but if it's not just something simple like a return spring i'm afraid i may damage it more

Thanks man. Hope you get sorted quickly! Right in the sweet spot of the riding season darnit!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts