Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Have you had a gear selector problem?

• Yes, and I have a Street Twin/Cup that was NOT dropped.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, and I have a Bobber that was dropped.

• Yes, and I have a Bobber that was NOT dropped.

• Yes, and I have a Thruxton that was dropped.

• Yes, and I have a Thruxton that was NOT dropped.

• Yes, and I have a Speed Twin that was dropped.

• Yes, and I have a Speedmaster that was dropped.

• Yes, and I have a T100 that was dropped

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bonneville T120 Black
383 Posts
7500 miles (about 1500 by me) on my T120, no shifting issues except for the occasional first to second finding neutral instead. A lot of my upshifting is clutchless, no problems with that. It's about on a par with the Tiger 800 gearbox, better than the rather clunky Tiger 1050 one.

·
Registered
2017 T100, 2014 Super Tenere
43 Posts
My 2017 T100, never dropped, just started refusing to downshift this last weekend - right after crossing 5,000 miles. I assume there's no alternative to replacing the detent wheel? Is that the only part that should need to be replaced?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had the stuck in gear problem. I am the bikes second owner. Not dropped as far as I know. At the time of the issue I believe the bike had around 6000 miles on it. It was out of warranty so I ordered all the parts myself from triumph (before the "kit" was offered) and like slingin I pulled the left side of the bike apart and replaced all the parts. Buttoned the bike back up and have been riding it ever since. I was apprehensive about the bike for awhile but have gotten used to it. if it happens again I'll more then likely fix it again. I still believe this problem is rare but if it happens to others I wouldn't be surprised. It's not a particularly robust design. I feel for slingin who has had this happen multiple times.

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
I have a 2016 T120 with 47,000km on it, no issues. Also a 2019 Scrambler 1200 XE, with 30,000km on it no issues. However, I have a friend with a Street Cup with 45,000km that's had it fixed twice under warranty but it`s just happened for a third time. The upgraded parts were definitely fitted last time.

·
Registered
154 Posts
2017 T120, about 16,000mi on it. Never dropped, never abused, regular oil changes and ridden pretty easily for most of its life. I'm a very casual rider overall.

May 2020 - Bike went in to dealer for repair due to inability to downshift. The first sign of the issue was being able to actuate the shift pedal down after already engaging 1st gear. Slowly the problem grew from random misses in the down shift, to finally getting stuck in 5th gear. Probably could have shifted it into 6th with no problem, but just rode to the dealer in 5th gear to drop it off.

They made the repair and all felt fine. Not exactly sure which part(s) they replaced however. Now I really question what exactly was done.

March 2021 - Bike is at a dealer again for the exact same issue. Only difference this time is that the failure was immediate. One day shifting was normal, and the next day it was wonky. It also seemed to shift ok after the bike ran on the highway for a few miles, as if warming it up made it shift properly. This dealer found a "bent and misaligned shift shaft and detent" and are currently in discussion with Triumph to get a goodwill repair done.

I could have made the repair myself, and I could have forgiven the issue the first time. But to have the failure pop up again so quickly upsets me. I'm in limbo about what to do with the bike once I get it back. I do love it, but I also don't like that this is a weak point that may need regular replacement. It really shouldn't be such an easily worn out part.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts