Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Have you had a gear selector problem?

• Yes, and I have a Street Twin/Cup that was NOT dropped.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, and I have a Bobber that was dropped.

• Yes, and I have a Bobber that was NOT dropped.

• Yes, and I have a Thruxton that was dropped.

• Yes, and I have a Thruxton that was NOT dropped.

• Yes, and I have a Speed Twin that was dropped.

• Yes, and I have a Speedmaster that was dropped.

• Yes, and I have a T100 that was dropped

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Early 2016 T120, not dropped, stopped downshifting at about 6500 miles. The dealer fixed it under warranty by replacing the shifter shaft (only) and everything attached to it. The techs could find no damage to or problem with the original assembly.

I'm in the habit of shifting into first gear before traffic lights change, and then checking that the bike is in first by gently pressing the shift lever again. Before the bike stopped downshifting, for a few weeks the shift lever could be moved downward with the bike already in first gear. It seems to have been an interesting early symptom of impending shifter failure.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
2018 T120 with 20K miles and no issues. However, no drops either but it has been ridden in lots of 110+ degree heat. My transmission is probably the smoothest shifting of all bikes I have owned over the last 40 years.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Here's a thread on shifter damage. See page three for a pic by Simon64ds of the spacer he made that fits between the shift pedal and the left engine case. It prevents transverse movement of the shifter shaft if the bike is dropped. I have the same spacer on my T120. It's the black ring in the photo. It's really easy to install. Remove the shift pedal bolt and the pedal. Slide on the ring, and reinstall the pedal.

9-D4-DA400-CE11-4-BA2-BB52-8-ADA519-BD7-C1.jpg

·
Registered
T120 Cinder Red 2016
205 Posts
My 2016 T120 was dropped, with left side damage,before I bought it but with another 1000miles on it since is still changing ok

·
Registered
89 Posts
2020 Speed Twin with 1500 miles and no shifting or any problems for that matter. Dealer just did the 1 year service and addressed the shifter recall by putting blue Loctite on the bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Nope, no issues with my '20 T120 or my '19 Street Twin. I will say the Street twin can take a bit of work to get into neutral. The T120 has an incredibly good transmission, getting it into neutral is almost a telepathic experience.

Paul

Reactions: speedstar

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So of those who voted, about 10% have had issues 😲 and more than half of those were NOT dropped.....only 45 votes so no way if knowing how representative this is of the whole "fleet".

Personally mine is slick and the only bike from memory I have ridden that doesn't clunk like a tractor from 1st to 2nd. Instead it does that from 2nd to 3rd.

And yes the clutch action is really nice. If the box breaks i'll fix it and keep my fingers crossed but maybe Thruxtons have a natural immunity to this problem...?

·
Registered
2018 T120
124 Posts
Glad to see I'm not alone on the second to third clunk. Other than that, it's the smoothest clutch/transmission I've ever had.

Reactions: Grinnygrl

·
Registered
534 Posts
I occasionally select neutral instead of second when changing up at the end of a long day, buts thats because I’m tired, no fault of the selector mechanism itself. The gearbox is a real peach.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Right, fewer false neutrals on my T120's gearbox than with any other bike I've ever owned. Also, the smoothest, most effortless shifting.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Haven't hit any false neutrals on the Speed, but like Kinjane have found the real one once or twice (when attempting a quick get away at the lights!)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Heres a snippet from Triumph I bumped into on another forum relating to someone with this problem on a T120.

Makes you wonder about factory QA....Triumph are busy ruining what was a growing reputation for design and manufacturing quality.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts