Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've had the following problem ever since I picked up my Street Triple R from the dealer two weeks ago. In fact, since I couldn't get out of second gear I had already turned around and was heading back to the shop when I discovered a workaround to get the gears 3,4,5 and 6 so continued home :)
Basically I can pull away and get first, second and neutral ALL with my left foot in a natural position on the footpeg. When I then go for third gear nothing happens, the shifter just hits a solid wall, there is nowhere to go. In order to get the gears 3,4,5 and 6 I have to either twist my left foot outwards at an unnatural angle ( very painful after half an hour or so ) OR move my whole left foot right to the outside edge of the footpeg ( which doesn't feel very secure ). How this manifests itself out on the road is that whenever I have had my left foot down and put it back on the footpeg I almost invariably hit second gear, go for third, nothing happens and I have to move my foot out and try again. Since I have been groping about for third gear in several overtaking manouvres already it is somewhat of a safety issue. Looking at the shifter linkage, it can be wobbled in and out a fair amount and possibly that is causing it to snag somewhere when going for third with my foot on the inside edge of the shifter. I can't see any posts about anybody having a similar issue but maybe your dealers just told you to live with it. I would imagine this is just a linkage issue and something which can be adjusted. Certainly there is no fault with the gearbox, the gears drop in so sweetly when my foot is in the right position. Any suggestions ? I was intending to get my dealer to check the linkage when he does the 800km service but maybe there is a quick fix which I can do myself ?
Would be grateful for any feedback, cheers.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
For whatever it's worth (probably not much): I had the same problem or at least the same symptoms on my Daytona 675. The issue was simply that the gear lever was rubbing against the peg mounting bracket. Why was that rubbing only affecting 2nd gear? I'll never know. But I added a washer to the lever and raised it by roughly one third of an inch. And that solved it. Jamie

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Daytona problem

Thanks Jamie. Yes I found a post where a similar sounding problem on some Daytonas was mentioned but was curious that this problem doesn't appear to have occured on a Street yet. Maybe I'm just lucky ? ;)

I think you may be on to something though,. It feels as though when I go from second to third the lever just refuses to move, unless I move my foot right over. I think it may well be snagging somewhere. When I'm bored I'll go into the garage and try shifting the gears by hand. Maybe I'll see something that is stopping the movement when I'm trying to get out of second gear. The linkage wobbles in and out a fair amount as it is - maybe that movement is contributing to the problem ( again mysteriously only in a certain gear, as with your Daytona ).

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yes, I think we are on something. I am almost positive in fact. I went back to my diary (I keep one for each of my bikes !!!) for you. I had actually lowered (NOT raised) the Daytona's gearbox lever. This allowed for more lever movement, 1st to 2nd upshifts and, to a lesser extent, 3rd to 2nd downshifts seemingly requiring more movement than the other cogs. From memory, standing in the way of that movement, was either the side or the bottom part (or both) of the peg mounting plate. A very slight contact (so slight, in fact, that moving the lever by hand w/o the engine running had NOT revealed it), but enough to impede shifting or to make it laborious during actual operations. That and the 1mm thick spacer I mentioned earlier (another fix might have been to slightly bend the lever to the left) took care of the problem all at once.

Hope this 10' solution is the right one. Best. Jamie

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okeydokey.....

...thanks for checking your diary ( well impressed ! ) Jamie.

I think a spacer or bending the lever outwards slightly should work. Presumably when my toe is on the outside edge of the lever or turned outwards I am pulling the whole linkage slightly away from the bike, thereby narrowly clearing whatever it is that is causing the snagging problem. We must be talking a minute difference here, maybe barely a millimetre between clearing the snag or snagging.
I will check out the footpeg/gear linkage interface scenario on my bike later this evening.
Thanks again !

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
... but was curious that this problem doesn't appear to have occured on a Street yet. Maybe I'm just lucky ? ;)
Some people have all the luck, I guess. ;)

The different riding position of the Street makes linkage problems a little less frequent than on the Daytona, perhaps. I believe I would have turned around and gone right back to the dealer as soon as the problem arose, because linkage operation is something they SHOULD have checked during the pre-delivery inspection.

Yours might simply need a little adjustment, or Jamie's solution might well take care of it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Return of The Street

Well the main reason I decided to persevere with it was because it was getting pretty late and I had a two hour ride home. My lift to the bike shop had also already disappeared so there was a good chance that a) the shop would have closed by the time I got there or b) if it wasn't a quick job to fix I would have been stuck two hours from home with no transport.
I think I swore pretty loud though when I discovered that third gear wouldn't go in ! Unfortunately because it was in the city I had to ride quite a way before the need for third gear arose and the problem first presented itself.
But anyway, I viewed it as a "quirk" and once I had learned how to get around it I was of course desperate to get my baby home and get some miles on it. I've done 500km already and it's not a major problem, just something I have to be aware of. Will waggle the mechanism about and see if I can find where it's fouling. Quite agree that one would hope that the dealer would have spotted it, but strangely they don't test ride the bikes at all and this particular problem can probably only be reproduced when riding.
See, you're right, I'm just plain lucky ;)

·
Registered
904 Posts
I went back to my diary (I keep one for each of my bikes !!!) for you....
Smart idea. As an old two-stroke tuner, I learned the value of keeping a diary long ago. I log every maintanence done or items added, along with cost, date and mileage.

Neanderthal

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
No problem here. Have you tried shifting through the gears by hand to see what it's hitting.

On a side note I have had customers on BMWs with a similar problem. It turned out they were consistently not releasing the shifter far enough for it to catch the next notch on the shift drum. To check this try making your 1st-2nd shift and then taking your foot completely off the peg and then returning it and going for the 2nd-3rd shift. If it works try it again. If this were to resolve the problem you usually adjust the shifter to cure the problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Progress report

OK. There seems to be no issue when changing gear by hand ( as Jamie predicted ) and to be honest it doesn't look as though there is anything anywhere near the shifter which could be snagging it.
I will try MacBandit's procedure on my next ride and see whether that helps. Since I use the same foot pressure and procedure for all gear shifts I doubt whether I am doing anything different when going from second to third but maybe something is still a bit tight and sticky when going into third and that is just enough to cause the problem.
Thanks for all your advice so far :)

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
OK. There seems to be no issue when changing gear by hand ( as Jamie predicted ) and to be honest it doesn't look as though there is anything anywhere near the shifter which could be snagging it.
I will try MacBandit's procedure on my next ride and see whether that helps. Since I use the same foot pressure and procedure for all gear shifts I doubt whether I am doing anything different when going from second to third but maybe something is still a bit tight and sticky when going into third and that is just enough to cause the problem.
Thanks for all your advice so far :)
The problem if it is the problem is not that when you are shifting any differently from second to third. It has to do with the mechanics of it. When you take off you have to put it in 1st so your foot is on top of the shifter. Then you put your foot under the shifter and shift to second. Now your foot is still under the shifter under like when you started your shift from first to second. Since your foot is still under it there is the possibility that you are somehow preventing the shifter from fulling returning downward far enough to catch the next pin on the shift drum. It's a ratcheting mechanism and if the shifter is not allowed to fully return between each and every shift it will not ratchet to the next spot on the shift drum.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fascinating...I wouldn't rule that out at all. And that can usually be rectified by adjusting the linkage in which way ? I will try that next time out but I think you may be right - sounds very plausible.
Amazing if it's true. Buy a Triumph and get a BMW-style gearshift !!! Whatever next ? Triumphs with separate buttons for the left and right turn indicators ? Let's hope not :p

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
Fascinating...I wouldn't rule that out at all. And that can usually be rectified by adjusting the linkage in which way ? I will try that next time out but I think you may be right - sounds very plausible.
Amazing if it's true. Buy a Triumph and get a BMW-style gearshift !!! Whatever next ? Triumphs with separate buttons for the left and right turn indicators ? Let's hope not :p
Nah it's not a BMW or Triumph thing nearly all motorcycles have basically the same method of changing gears.

You would have to adjust your shifter up to allow for more clearance between your boot and the shifter. Sometimes it's as simple as someone wearing a huge toed boot rather than the typically narrow toed motorcycle sport boot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wagglefest produces desired result

So MacBandit you may have been on to something.

Having waggled the linkage quite a lot and then manually being able to get all the gears, I took the bike out for a spin. Lo and behold the shifter is now working perfectly for all gears. I will reserve judgement as to whether or not this is a permanent fix, since I was riding wearing trainers rather than boots. However earlier, thinking my boots might be getting in the way, I also went out in trainers ( and a different pair of boots ) and experienced the same shifting problem. So this was the first trip in any kind of footwear where the shifter worked correctly. Maybe the shifter was somewhat over sensitive in the regard you mentioned and my waggling and manual shifting has somehow put something back into the correct position.
If everything continues to work fine when I've got my usual boots on I'll consider the problem solved. If the problem returns I'll try the foot off the peg trick. If that works then I will ask the dealer to raise the shifter further away from the footpeg.

May I just say, the Street is even more fun to ride when you don't have to concentrate so hard to shift gears !!!

Thanks for all the tips, maybe more by luck than judgement I have managed to solve the problem. Darn, didn't even get to use my industrial strength hammer :mad:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I read in MCN that one of the amazing new features of the new K1300s is the return of 'a normal single indicator switch' ;)
That's progress !

·
Registered
973 Posts
I just checked in here for the hell of it. I dont ride a street but had a similar problem on my 06 Speed Triple this last summer. Went out for a ride and on the way home had to pass thru a small town. Slowed down for a car turning right and couldnt get out of first gear. I pulled over into the parking lot of a pizzeria and shut it down for a look. What i found was the linkage, that attaches to the cast part, connected to the spline had over time backed out. The threaded hole was now cone shaped. I managed to get it threaded back into the cast piece and made it home. When i got home i took the cast piece off the spline and unthreaded the linkage from the cast piece. Cleaned it all up and using Loctite primer and loctite blue removeable i re-assembled it and made it nice and tight. I slipped the cast piece with linkage attached back onto the spline in the position it had been in since new and did'nt think it looked as if i could get my boot under it for an upshift. Thinking back, i have had trouble with missed shifts and false nuetrals from the start. I pulled it back apart and and slid it back on moving it ONE tooth on the spline downward, ( the end of the shift lever down). It must have been unthreading it self since new, and in the wrong position from the factory cause it has never been smoother or shifted better. No problems since. Something to look at anyway. Hope this helps. Oh and BTW. Some of the Speed Triple guys have been canning the whole linkage in favor of a single solid mounted lever off of a Yamaha dirtbike. Seems to work quite well. The linkage itself is the weak part with slop that gets worse with use and age.

·
Super Moderator
4,643 Posts
............... I slipped the cast piece with linkage attached back onto the spline in the position it had been in since new and did'nt think it looked as if i could get my boot under it for an upshift. Thinking back, i have had trouble with missed shifts and false nuetrals from the start. I pulled it back apart and and slid it back on moving it ONE tooth on the spline downward, ( the end of the shift lever down)..........
Could you clarify how moving the shifter down would give you more room to get your foot under it? Are you referring to the linkage lever on the shift shaft coming out of the gearbox?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Yes. let me clarify if i can. When i slipped the cast piece, with linkage attached, back onto the spline shaft coming from the gearbox in the original position I tested the action by hand. There was a lot more movement pushing it down than there was when moving the shifter upward. It seemed as if there was'nt enough"throw" if ya will. So i carefully slipped it back off the spline, linkage still attached, and turned it one tooth of the spline shaft counter clockwise and slipped it back on the spline shaft and tightened everything down. Has worked beautifully ever since. I may have misspoken, forget the boot. The whole ordeal made me think it was loose AND in the wrong position from the factory. You are not changing anything really except in my case giving the shifter an equal amount of movement up and down. So when i was really hammering it and upshifted it, it would occasionally miss the gear. Because i did'nt have enough movement of the shift lever when upshifting it was'nt fully engaging and would slip out making a god awful racket that made me want to pull over and hug it and tell her i was sorry. I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts