Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the gear-lever spring is either undone or broken.

I've had a look at the Haynes manual, but I'm not sure whether you have to take the engine out and drop the bottom end off in order to get to it.

Is that the case?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hi Welsh Al !! it might help the tecky guys on here if you give em a clue about Tigger model and year ??

is the shaft moving when the gear lever drops or is it just the gear lever thats moving ??

KK

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lo Kenny.

It's a 96 Tiger in black, GSoH, high maintenance, loves to read and take walks in the rain.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Steamers suffer from floppy linkage syndrom (its their age)
it is the pivots in the linkage not the actual gear change shaft, to check just hold the body that is splied to the shaft and wiggle the lever.

the lever pivot has a bush that can be renewed but I think you need to change the ball joints as a set.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think it's the pivot bush as it's only the up and down movement that's affected.

The lever will change gear, but as it returns to the lowest position possible, it has to be lifted so that it can change gear.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Those crappy aluminium gear levers are too soft! They wear if they get a bit loose and then don't bite the splines and flop about. I replaced the original with a shift lever - steel - off a Honda that I cut to the perfect length for my size 12 foot. No worries now!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts