Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, if so please redirect.

Bike is a 2012 S3, gear lever started needing to be repositioned (upwards) to effect down change. Interweb suggests broken detent spring...(?)

Have gotten as far as removing gear linkage, covers & clutch plates but don't have the right tool to pull clutch basket & get at the shaft?

Am I on the right track? and is there a specific tool needed to remove the basket?

·
Registered
341 Posts
You're on the right track, the detent spring is being the clutch basket. There is a specific tool for locking the inner and outer baskets (T3880305), you can get cheaper ones off ebay or you may be able to bodge something to lock them.

Whereabouts are you? I have one you can borrow if you're in the south west UK.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Actually you may be able to get away with putting the engine in high gear and having someone stand on the rear brake. That may be enough to allow you to undo the clutch centre nut.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most helpful, thanks!

Reckon I'll ebay the tool, I'd borrow yours but am in Brisbane Aus, cheers for the offer though!

Thought about the brake method but read somewhere it could cause damage?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ah yeah postage might be a bit steep lol

It shouldn't cause any damage, it's the type of loading the gearbox and brakes are literally designed for. Just make sure you have the socket on the nut properly. You're more likely to not be able to hold it on the back brake cos they're pants on the S3.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking in gear, butt the wheel against a wall and sit a chunky mate on the bike & brake...

Socket is 30mm?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wasn't too hard but im rusty on the tools & not confident with bikes. That said, the hardest thing was getting the part/gaskets. Had to wing it when torquing the basket nut but all else was just remove/replace.

Bike is up and running now and all is good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts