Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if there is something I can get to protect my boots from being scraped by the gear change pedal on my Triumph Street Scrambler 2017?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Back in Nineteen canteen we used to cut a bit of innertube to slip over the suedes/brothel creepers/beetle crushers. Right foot, obviously.
Nowadays I just change up by hooking the lever up with my heel. Saves mucking up the toes.

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
My BMW-brand left boot has an extra pad for the gear change lever, like the sacrificial plastic scraper for when I drive my Honda Civic over the concrete bumper in the parking lot. ?

·
Registered
483 Posts
You could change the gear peg. Rubber pegs are known to scuff up/mark boots.

I changed the peg on my 2013 Bonneville for a brass one and it's been awesome. Feels better when shifting and no longer Mark's up my boots. (Moykne sell a range of metal gear peg replacements including this brass one).
Screenshot_20200311-175800_Gallery.jpg

·
Registered
303 Posts
I've used the silicone covers on the shift levers of my bikes for years, but still always get a stain on my boot. I've grown to accept it. If I wear my boots into a store, if someone glances down, I occasionally get the "So, what do you ride?" comment.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Having both ancient and modern (reminds me of the Anglican hymn book) bikes both my boots have marks on them, but I do like to have highly polished ones so it doesn't look too bad when I first go out for a ride, not so by the time I arrive home ???

·
Registered
341 Posts
Is it possible to ride any bike that needs kickstarting without damaging boots? At least modern materials seem to be more resilient to oil.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought new boots and they came with a leather pad to slip over the toe. Road a couple of times to see where I marked the shoe and have now slipped it on. See if I like it. Don't care about marking up the boots really.

·
Registered
433 Posts
My first bike back in 1964 was a hand change prewar James 2 stroke 125cc Villiers engine. Wouldn't want to go back to that again, it was strange letting go of the throttle to change gear.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It's the novelty and the challenge. Also another step towards the complete collection.
LHS up for up
LHS down for up
RHS up for up
RHS down for up
Handchange

·
Registered
433 Posts
Yes I know that one, old Triumphs were RHS and one down and three up. AJS and BSA etc were one up and three down.
Modern bikes are normally LHS one down and five up. Using both bikes and being an old codger now it comes hard remembering which is which, sometimes trying to use the back brake lever as a gear change and vice verser, or going the wrong way, changing down instead of up etc. Oh to be 19 again ???

1 - 20 of 21 Posts