Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't got a dyno for my Street Triple, anyone got any suggestions for the initial settings for the gear change lights before I have a play?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I think I asked that same ? when I got mine.

After the break-in is over, I'd set them wherever you like as I doubt you will bother paying much attention to them once you get the feel of the bike. I think mine are set at 6500, but I never pay attention to them at all any more.

Best,

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hi Aides.

I set my change lights while I was running my bike in, basically to the manual's rev limits.

Once it was run in, I then set them to work in the default sequence, all lights on at 12,000.

Set like this, in Oz, basically means that if you see some blue lights on the dash, you are almost certainly breaking the law, and, quite possibly enjoying doing it.:)

regards,CrazyCam

·
Registered
366 Posts
Mine were preset from the dealer to start coming on around 8k? They were sequential. I changed it to 3 lights (or is it 4?) to come on around 12k. I don't like distractions while normal riding, and figure I won't see them when revving it out anyway.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mine were set-up to come on progrssively one light per 1000rpm at around 8k so the lights come on as the needle goes past them.

Red line in first seems to be aroun 60-65mph so getting blue lights in any gear other than first is likely to be attracting another type of blue light - if you get my drift! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, looks like I'll have a play at setting them up and probably ignore them thereafter.

Crazycam - Blue lights always means your breaking the law, I assumed that is why they made them blue :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks guys, looks like I'll have a play at setting them up and probably ignore them thereafter.

Crazycam - Blue lights always means your breaking the law, I assumed that is why they made them blue :)
On the other hand, when you are on a track day, if you don't see some blue on the dash, you know you aren't trying hard enough!

regards,CrazyCam

·
Registered
207 Posts
On a stock striple the most horsepower is at 11,700 rpm's. I set my lights so the last light comes on at 11,700. The most torque is at 9,200 rpm's so when the lights are about half way up the line, you have the most turque.

·
Super Moderator
4,723 Posts
On a stock striple the most horsepower is at 11,700 rpm's. I set my lights so the last light comes on at 11,700. The most torque is at 9,200 rpm's so when the lights are about half way up the line, you have the most turque.
You want to shift a bit past peak. Even after peak it's pretty level. When you shift your going to drop your engine rpms down well below peak unless you shift after it. I would say a safe point would be about 12,500. Most shifts will not take you below peak if you shift at that rpm.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You want to shift a bit past peak. Even after peak it's pretty level. When you shift your going to drop your engine rpms down well below peak unless you shift after it. I would say a safe point would be about 12,500. Most shifts will not take you below peak if you shift at that rpm.
Hi MacBandit.

Triumph, too, consider 12,500 rpm safe, but no more.....
Unless you have fiddled with the ECU that it when the rev limiter cuts in.

regards,CrazyCam

·
Super Moderator
4,723 Posts
Hi MacBandit.

Triumph, too, consider 12,500 rpm safe, but no more.....
Unless you have fiddled with the ECU that it when the rev limiter cuts in.

regards,CrazyCam
I don't have enough miles on it to hit the rev limiter yet. Most I've had it up to is about 11k. So your saying the 13k redline is a misnomer.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Actually they used all red lights back in the day. That was the death ray for a motorcyclist. When they changed over they left emergency vehicles (firetrucks and ambulances) red. Took a bit to get used to the blue lights. Never did like seeing red or blue.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I don't have enough miles on it to hit the rev limiter yet. Most I've had it up to is about 11k. So your saying the 13k redline is a misnomer.
Yes.

The rev limit is coded in the ECU, and, if you want, can be changed using TuneBoy, but it is 12,500.

That's why most dyno charts show a drop off to pretty much nothing at 12 and a half grand.

regards,CrazyCam

1 - 18 of 18 Posts