Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
72 5 speed.....after a couple of rides I noticed the chain was oily and flinging it everywhere. I started cleaning it up and it looks and smells like gear box oil.

I cant remember if I can access the top gear seal from the primary side through the clutch door and take the sprocket off? Is that how I get to it?

There isnt any rubber seals on gearbox side on the top gear is there?

Any tips on getting that top gear to seal off well? I did watch the plewsy video and he uses a lot of RTV in there which I didnt do the first time.

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
definately gear oil leaking so I pulled the primary and it looks like the seal inside the top gear inner diameter is too small? Definately where the leak is coming from. I took the sprocket off and the big seal was bone dry. Everything is brand new with 50 miles on it.

Can I replace the small seal from here? It has a number on it M108 181 1/4 if that means anything. Maybe it was the wrong seal?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
According to my spares books, the seal part number is 60-3500.
To successfully fit the new mainshaft oil seal, the mainshaft will need to be removed.

This is not a 5 minute job.

Disassemble the gearbox and remove the main shaft.

Then the old oil seal can be prized out.
Knock the new one in, lips to the bearings.
Re-assemble the gearbox components (in neutral gear)

Failing that the high-gear assy will need removing.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks caulky
It looks like i could just remove the seal from the primary side and knock a new one in without removing the mainshaft?
Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Thanks caulky
It looks like i could just remove the seal from the primary side and knock a new one in without removing the mainshaft?
Has anyone tried this?
If you can do it without damaging the new seal, best of luck.
They are fitted to prevent oil leaking, they are tight and must be fully in and flush against the needle roller.

WRT the O-ring, it was fitted to the `73 on models.
Not listed for the `72.
I dont think there is room for it on the `72.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Caulky, do you have any good pics with the main shaft still coming through the high gear so I can see how tight it looks compared to the my pic?

After more research Im thinking maybe most of the oil came through the splines. Decision time now wether to try to replace the seal or not or just RTV up the splines and put it back together and see if it holds.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
Just uploaded some from my computer...quality is variable.
The 3rd one is before fitting a new sprocket and chain.
By the way, have you sealed the layshaft `blind` needle roller?
As in pic 4.
I think you must bear in mind, what appears to be a small gap, isn`t.
The internal lip of the seal around the shaft is hidden.

·
Registered
9 Posts
72 5 speed.....after a couple of rides I noticed the chain was oily and flinging it everywhere. I started cleaning it up and it looks and smells like gear box oil.

Any tips on getting that top gear to seal off well? I did watch the plewsy video and he uses a lot of RTV in there which I didnt do the first time.
Hi Where is the plewsy video i presume its by lunmad but which one? any thanks:confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts

Hi Where is the plewsy video i presume its by lunmad but which one? many thanks:confused:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, yes I took it all apart and put RTV on the splines on the high gear since the 72 does not have an O ring. Put it all together and it sealed the leak. Everything going great

1 - 12 of 12 Posts