Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was offered a ride yesterday by my dealer's sales manager and took it him up on it today on a very nice, low kms 2006 Daytona 675.

I was really very impressed, it is a really nice handling and very grunty little bike, it was better than I thought it would be.

It's a top package but I will not be adding one to the garage. It was a little cramped for me and I am better suited to a Daytona 955, which is what I will end up parking next to my Sprint hopefully this year one day.

That little triple is a terrific power plant and the thing goes where you point it very quickly, I was really impressed with the sharp handling and the good brakes too.

It is a lot smaller than the GSX R600 I had a few years ago.
It's extremely nimble and has gobs of low down power for really tight stuff. easy to ride very quickly in tight stuff me thinks.

I loved it, it's just a little cramped for my bulky frame.

There ya go, something a weeny bit different for the sprint forum.

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Nice bike Dave, nice pic as well. I wish they would put that motor into a dual sport bike like the KTM 640 Adventure, I would buy one instantly.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Got to agree with you on all points Dave. I had my 675 for a year and as much as I loved riding it, my back took a week to recover from a full days ride.

Its a great bike at any speed, but I'm sure you figured out that it doesn't really come into its own as a package until you get well north of 100kph - and then you still have four more gears at your disposal. So now I have just as much fun but at a third of the speed on my Scrambler.

Most definately that turbine smooth little mill has quite a few applications. I totally agree with the off road bike application. I reckon it would really give KTM a run. I would grab one in a heartbeat.

Brett.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm with Garyhjd and Beach on this one, build the much rumored "Tiger Cub" with that motor and I would be forced to purchase a second bike. Forced I say! :hearts:

I've got way too much torso to fit on the D675 unfortunately...

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
..... did you try it with Liz on the back Dave? - I bet she wouldnt be too pleased if you got one;)

Grant:cool:
Hi Grant,

I intend to keep my '04 Sprint for two up riding because I have the suspension and everything else all sorted.:)

This is for the boys rides.

Beach, I think it is a fantastic bike for very tight stuff too, it transitions very fast with some body english and the motor has grunt everywhere.

It is just a bit too small for my build.

cheers,

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Its a small bike for sure DaveM. I'd be keen to try one though, I could see myself with a pocket rocket like that.

I rode the Street Triple and was similarly surprised at the torque and power produced by the little bugger. The tune of the Streety would be ideal for a dual sport as opposed to the Daytona tune I would think.

One thing for sure, these Triumphs are a ton of fun...

Cheers,

Roden.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was really very impressed, it is a really nice handling and very grunty little bike, it was better than I thought it would be.

It's a top package but I will not be adding one to the garage. It was a little cramped for me
The D675 (SE) was my first Triumph bike that I purchased last year. I loved the bike's handling but by the time I rode it home from the dealership to my warehouse, I knew that it wasn't the bike for me. Just a tad too small for me.

I found that once I got to twisty roads, I was fine on it, and the suspension was amazing. But on freeways it would kill my back, so much that I was literally screaming out in pain at times.

As a result, it remained parked for most weekends until somebody decided to put the bike out of its misery and take it from me. It would have been nice if they had to asked instead of leaving me in shock to find an empty parking spot in the morning!

Once I moved apartment buildings (since this one could not be trusted to keep my babies safe), I started shopping bikes again and picked up a new '08 ST (I preferred the blue plus got an amazing deal on it) just this week. Riding that back to the office was a complete difference. I was grinning the entire way. It feels like they built this bike specifically for me! :)

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
I was a bit the same way Dave but didn't take it out for a run as I could only pick 3 bikes at the demo day I did (my time was limited) but it was way too cramped for my lanky legs and 6'1" frame. :)

Good to take another bike for a run though. Any ride is a good ride! :D

·
Registered
297 Posts
I am ~ 6'3"; and you are right.. It was a bit cramped; but it is something I had no problem of living with. Afterall I would not spend much time in the same spot on the saddle :)

That damn thing corners like ... well.. a very well designed sport bike, damn it ! :)

Almoust bought a low milage 06 for ~$6k USD.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Has anyone under 6' ridden one of these and what did you think. I've always wanted one but never sat on one. I'm 5'9 1/4" so do you think I'd be cramped?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Interesting to hear your thoughts, Dave. I've never ridden a 675, but sitting on one in the dealer, it felt amazingly small (I'm 6'2). I for one dislike the constant shrinking of the new sport bikes. Yes, I understand the weight savings/flickability/mass-centralization reasons for it....but still. I sat on an '09 cbr1000 yesterday, and it seemed every bit as small as the 675.

I've always wanted to get a used "weekend blaster" type of bike...but by the time I finally do it, I'll be able to carry it with me on a keychain.:rolleyes::D

Good pics!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hey Dave, You would be happier on a 955 D. I am in the enviable position of owning a 07 sprint and a 02 DSSA 955i Daytona. When i bought the D, it was set up for track work and was running 19-45 gearing which made for interesting top speeds ( 280kph !) but i have gone 1 down at the front and it made a huge difference to acceleration around town. with your size it would be a better fit for you than the 675. I also have a 17 tooth for the D but have not tried it out yet but with the 45rear, it would be an animal round town!.:Devil3: :motorbike2:

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has anyone under 6' ridden one of these and what did you think. I've always wanted one but never sat on one. I'm 5'9 1/4" so do you think I'd be cramped?
Red Mossy,

I am 5'10" but built like a bull. I have a long torso, short legs and long arms.
I very much liked the D 675 but it felt like the bars were so close to my body, where as I do not mind clip ons but prefer to be a bit more stretched out and lower.

On the 675 I am sitting quite tall and although hanging off the thing was a hoot (very easy to do with a narrow seat and tall narrow tank to hold your knee with). I know after 3 - 4 hours on it I would be exhausted where as as Nev1050 correctly says the bigger 955 daytona will fit me much much better.

·
Registered
203 Posts
it's all about how you ride it...

I picked up a used D675 at the begining of last year because I wanted a track bike, the Sprint was just too heavy for real track riding, I don't particularly like riding the 675 on the street it's uncomfortable and small. (I'm 6'-0") and I was tired after an hour or two. on the track though I can go all day and want more, you don't stay in one position for long. riding the sprint on the track can wear me out pretty quickly because it's heavier and really needs to be muscled around the track.

you have to have the right tool for the job, I'm thankfull to have a well stocked tool box at this point.

Sprintboy

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Hey Dave, for some reason I thought you had said you were 6'2" in a post many many moons ago. I guess I was wrong. I think we're both about the same weight, me being around 240 and you a little lighter? but we're built quite similar it sounds so maybe come this summer when my sprint is back to 100% I'll be browsing for a 955 D instead of the 675 I wanted.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Dave, for some reason I thought you had said you were 6'2" in a post many many moons ago. I guess I was wrong. I think we're both about the same weight, me being around 240 and you a little lighter? but we're built quite similar it sounds so maybe come this summer when my sprint is back to 100% I'll be browsing for a 955 D instead of the 675 I wanted.

Thanks
Yep sounds like we are, I have the Gorilla build!:D

I am very broad shouldered and heavy set (Played Lock or prop in rugby).

I would totally agree with that too Sprintboy, my typical weekend ride is 300kms of very twisty mountain road.
I know the D 675 would be a barrell of fun but I also know it would exhaust me doing it.

It was real fun jumping all over it and hanging off which is so easy to do 'cos that is what it is made for, but because I have long arms and am all torso it feels like the bars are too close to me and it would be tiring on the road after any length of time, for me that is.

cheers,
DaveM

1 - 20 of 27 Posts