Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The basket-case chopper that I am turning into a bobber has no gauges. The easy thing to do would be to buy repros of the Smith speedo and tach. But those are quite big for a bobber. Can anyone point me to some smaller gauges that can be adapted to the Triumph? It's a 71 Bonnie motor, by the way. The tach and speedo drives are both there. Whether or not they work is yet to be determined.
I would not mind going with digital gauges, but I have not found any info on putting digitals on old Triumphs. When I google, all I find is which wires to use on a Harley wiring harness. :( Any guidance here?

Thanks --
-- Jim

·
Premium Member
9,503 Posts
there are tachos that derive their signal from pulses in the HT lines, and speedos that use little magnets on the spokes to set the speed. I assume that they come in various sizes

don't know about smaller conventional dials but it is certainly possible. you just need to research the ratios

·
Registered
187 Posts
there are tachos that derive their signal from pulses in the HT lines
I've got a couple of these on my scooters and they work very well. I use the Koso brand and the ones I have also have an engine temp sensor. I particularly wanted an analogue look although they do fully digital ones too:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Dave M and Ultrarepo.
I am leaning towards the Koso. I helped install Dakota Digital gauges in an old Chevy show truck. Their stuff is nice, but quite pricey. Customer reviews of the Koso gauges look pretty good. Now to decide which one... or two. :hmmmmm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts